Roscoe Beck 5 string with Sadowsky preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lenko, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Has anyone done that mod to his bass? What do you think would it sound like? Is it possible?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You don't need to 'mod' anything - I have played an RB5 extensively through a Sadowsky outboard preamp and it sounded great - no problems just plug in!

This is what these preamps were made for - no need to go messing about with the RB5 - keep it as a passive and keep your Sadowsky pre-amp in its separate box - then you can also use it on other basses or try other pre-amps if you like!
  3. I have to agree with Bruce. "I won't go messing with that RB5 if it ain't broke." Now that's coming from a bass player who seems to think that the preamps ought to be built in the bass no matter what without those fancy little juice boxes attached.
    However with the RB5 I really believe in the ...leave it be ..policy.

Now especially after Fender has decided to introduce the four string version. The original RB5 may get a price and value increase soon.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Another ditto. I had a RB5 as my main gigging bass for three years. The last two I used it with an Aguilar DB924 outboard pre-amp.The DB924 is the exact same circuit as the Sadowsky.It really gave the RB5 a nice "active" polish.Once I used it I never went back to "passive".
    As Bruce points out the outboard is very flexible and you don't have to mod your bass. I recommend it highly.
  5. DaveB: What do you mean "The DB924 is the exact same circuit as the Sadowsky"? Is there no diferrence between them?

Just curious.

6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    If I get an RB5 (still hoping!) I'm definitely going to run it through my Sadowsky box...
  7. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I've posted this before, but here goes:

I have to correct the statement that the Sadowsky and Aguilar preamps are identical. This is not correct.

Although Alex did the prototyping and for me back in 1989, the Aguilar pre is not identical to the Sadowsky at all. The Aguilar is an 18 volt system with 18db of boost. The Sadowsky is a 9 volt system with 13 db of boost. And although the frequency centers are in the same place, the tone is different between the two. The Aguilar sounds like an Aguilar and the Sadowsky sounds like a Sadowsky. And aside from tone, the Sadowsky has many more features.

It is not tough to compare at all, especially if you can A-B both. Since I sell mine on 7 day approval, you can purchase the Sadowsky and then take it to the shop selling the Aguilar and do a direct A-B yourself. Just return the Sadowsky within 7 days if it is not the right preamp for you and I will give you a refund.

Roger Sadowsky
    punchdrunk likes this.
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Don't modify your bass. Get the Sadowsky pre and your worries are over. You'll run every bass you ever own through it. The only time you won't is when you step up and get a Sadowsky bass with the pre in it!! It's the tightest, "musical" bottom you'll ever experience from your rig or P.A.!!!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Didn't I say that, already!! ;)
  10. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I put one of Roger's preamps in my Lakland 55-01, and it makes for one very nice active bass. Much bigger sound than the OK-but-nothing-special preamp that came with it.
  11. Yup. A Sadowsky preamp in on the "essentials" list. But not every bass. Just the passive ones, for me. I think it would match an RB5 perfectly. Actually I am thinking of buying an RB5 for my Sadowsky.
  12. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'll have to second what Roger said - there's clips of the Sad outboard on right now, and soon there will be clips of an Aggie DB924. Two TOTALLY different animals, and the Sadowsky has the extra bonus of an XLR out.
  13. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I would be the last one to debate Roger but my ears still think there are more similarities than differences between the two. At any rate, you wouldn't go wrong with either.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

I see this as the big advantage of the Sadowsky - you go to great lengths to get the right sounding bass, with the best tone, you may pay several thousand £s or $s - you don't want its tone to be hidden or changed by a pre-amp!

In my view a pre-amp is not there to make up for deficiencies in bass tone - if you don't like the bass's tone, my view is that you need to get a different bass, not try to use a pre-amp as some kind of sticking plaster. :meh:
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have one of the older belt clip Sadowsky preamps and sometimes use it with my basses. I like the tone and the additional bass/treble controls can help change an ok tone into a better tone. I suggest you do not overlook the possibility of using it wth an active bass. Sometimes it is just the thing needed in a particular room.

Please don't alter your RB5. Fender has put together superior passive electronics in that design.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I must say I find this quite strange - so a decent outboard pre-amp like the Sadowsky costs about £160 - £250 over here. So - a junk bass for me would be about the same price - so it just makes no sense for me to use a pre-amp that costs more or about the same as your bass - I would alway say that you need to invest the great majority of money you have available, in the bass itself.