Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck 5 users, thru the bridge or body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 59jazz, Jun 11, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm curious :eyebrow: , how many of you RB5 users string 'em up thru the bridge or body? And why? I just removed a set of X long Chromes that went thru the body....nice warm growl thru the bridge p/up, but I didn't really care for the feel / flexability.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How are the feel and flexibilty affected by whether you string through the bridge or not? Between the bridge and the nut, the tension in the string is exactly the same.

3. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I don't think there is any difference. For me, it just feels better through the body.
    And there are five holes in the back, so why not? :eyebrow:

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I agree with this 100%. The only way I go through the bridge is if the string windings touch the nut.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I bought an exactly matched pair of MIA P-basses back in 2002, two tone sunburst with the ash bodies. It was real handy to have one tuned to "E" and the other to "Eb" because my guitar player kept one of his Strats tuned down for the Hendrix/SRV sets. I didn't want to wear out my tuners by re-tuning all the time.

Anyway, one rainy day just for a goof I strung one at the bridge and the other one through the body. I went back and forth on several types of material and even recorded a few tracks with both basses. I'm sorry to say, I couldn't hear any difference. It could be that after decades of head splitting volume, my ears are too shot to pick up the subtle improvement in tone and sustain that some people report with the strings through the body. :meh:

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I usually string through body, just cause its available, don't know why but if I can string through body instead of bridge I usually do it.

7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I always found that i got a much better tone, better response from the strings, higher tension and more growl when stringing trough the brigde. The trough body stringing just seemed to muddy up the tone more to my ears :).

-Erlend

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I notice no difference in tone between thru-body and thru-bridge. So, I string thru bridge. One reason is because it's easier, but a more important reason is that stringing thru-body doesn't work with tapered strings: the tapered portion falls behind the saddle rather than over it. Also, thru-body might cause string silk to pass over the nut.

There might be a difference in feel or flexibility, but I like thru-bridge stringing just fine.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You don't get higher tension. You get exactly the same tension. Sorry.

10. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Hey guys, thanks for your input! I don't find any diff between the two. I did read a thread in which some believe that thru the bridge produces lifeless tone with less attack, I was begining to think that maybe my ears were losing it. Munji, I guess I didn't make myself clear in my initial statement...I understand that tension is between the nut and saddles, no matter what string one uses, I just didn't care for the stiff flexability of the Chromes. However, they do sound great and If I can't find another that's more to my liking, then I'll have to go back to the Chromes. Thanks, Steve

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    No prob. If you like floppier strings, try TI PowerBass.