Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck 5 vs. Reverend Brad Houser 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw a used Brad Houser for sale recently and I noticed that it's electronics seemed similar to the Roscoe Beck Fenders. I know that Reverends are semi-hollow, but I wonder if the Brad Houser and Rosoe Beck basses sound anything like each other.

2. The Brad Houser 5 is 35" scale vs. 34" on the RB5, so there's a little bit of difference there.

The controls between the two are slightly different. The two double humbuckers on the Reverend each have coil tap switches and the knobs are volume/volume/tone

The Roscoe Beck has two special side-by-side jazz pickups (like humbuckers???) with mini coil selector switches. A three way pickup selector switch (bridge/both/neck) and the knobs are volume/tone with a push/pull mids shaping feature.

You can probably get these two basses to have a similar vibe...but they won't sound the exactly same...

which sounds better??? My guess is that they both sound great.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bump, any other opinions?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love my RB5. I've loved the 'Fishes I've played, but I've never touched a BH5. So, all I can say is that I'm annoyed with myself for not getting a BH5 before they went out of production.

5. My question is why DID they go out of production?

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

People weren't buying enough of them to justify the cost of production. Joe Naylor designed a great line of basses and it's really a shame that not many picked up on them before it was too late. I've got one BH5 and will snag another one day.

I meant to answer your question long ago but.......

Rezdog