Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck 5--Which Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichBriere, Apr 21, 2003.

1. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Greetings Gents,

Which model Lakland would best compare with a Roscoe Beck? Or, might a Music Man be closer? If so, which? Thanks. I'm looking to trade if any of you are interested. Details can be found under the classified section.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

:D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The price jump from Lakland Skylines to the American series would make me opt for a lakland 55-02. They have better electronics than the 55-01's and are very VERY similar to the American 55-94's. The main differences between the skylines and the americans is finish. So I'd say go with the 55-02. They are great.

Trevis

3. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    I am thinking American Joe Osborn 5 string.

But, the Roscoe Beck is lightyears better than the Skyline series IMHO, so I wouldn't trade for a Skyline.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Note that the string spacing on the Stingray 5 is noticeably narrower than the RB5 both at the nut and at the bridge... that's the deal-killer for me, otherwise I'd have a 'Ray 5 to go with my RB5.

5. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    You're the second or third person to recommend the Osborn 5. Thanks. I'll wander over to their site and see what I can come up with.

I also openly admit to being a U.S.A. boy..........and I'm a loyal MTD player. Not that there's anything wrong with "imported stuff"........look at what MTD is bringing in.....and a number of other builders as well. :^>) I'm simply a stuffy old geezer who's set in his ways.

I had thirty-something basses. I've parted with/AM parting with about 27 over the past 12 months. I'd like to now have three; a MTD 435, a MTD 535 and something unknown to me at this time. Your opinions are appreciated.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY

7. Fuzzbass

8. Fuzzbass

Oh yeah: love your choice of the MTDs. My 535 is my most comfy player.... BUTTAH!