Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck - Dixie Chicks?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NJL, Feb 4, 2003.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did you hear that Roscoe Beck got the gig with the Dixie Chicks? Interesting.....

They will be on Sat. Night Live on the 8th of this month.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's probably a very nice paying gig....more the Robben Ford could pay! Willie Weeks toured for years with Wynonna Judd....and her band kicked booty:) A gigs a gig and the Dixie Chicks can play!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nice(-looking :D ) band, great pay, comfy touring and hotels, and it looks great on your resume.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wasn't dogging the girls. my brother is their FoH and production manager. he called me last night and told me that roscoe got the gig. i had thought another cat from austin got the gig.

the chicks can play, especially the sisters.

supposedly my brother is to hook me up with willie up in dallas when vince gill plays there......we'll see what happens.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Their 'Home' CD has loads of upright bass, so maybe we'll see some doubling from Roscoe... I saw the Chicks at a free concert at the zoo here in Oregon a few years back, (before stardom)... Fantastic entertainers live!

-robert

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am just happy to hear someone mention Willie Weeks name. It has been toooooooo long.

"Everything is Everything" is all I have to say

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good for him. His talent deserves wider recognition.

8. This comes back to the fact that many country or country oriented bands can kick some serious butt. I play in a honkytonk band, and quite often at our gigs a group of late teens/early twentys will come in and the first reaction to seeing us is a snigger. If they stay for a drink or two, they will often end up being they first ones up grooving, and comment to us as they leave that they really dug it.

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Roscoe Beck= Bassist w/ Dixie Chicks is one thing- I'm sure they are surrounding themselves with real players

but did anyone see who the drummer was for Shania Twain for the superbowl?

JD Blair- Vic Wooten's Skin beater of choice...

it really just goes to show- the players KNOW where to make the $$$ so they can do their own thing when the tours over

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love JD Blair's playing!!!! I think he is one of the first call road dogs for country gigs, he used to play with Shelby Lynne......and that was another great band:cool:

11. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Roscoe is a lucky bas@#$d. I'd pay them to get the view he's gonna get!:eek:

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Don't most big acts surround themselves with top notch studio cats? If you could afford them you would too wouldn't you? And if you were a studio cat who got offered $$$$ you would probably take it.

And if you want to listen to some bad ass willie weeks pick up a copy of Donny Hathaway's Live cd.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I definatley agree. I wish more people who slammed Country would actually play it to see that it takes A LOT of techinque to properly execute. (Keith Horne's country playing is godly) I've heard so many rock musicians who for some reason had to play a country gig or something say, "Wow I never realize how much work Country is to play". Speaking of Country bassist, I caught a Rascal Flatts concert on TV a few weeks ago, and man the bass player is a tasty cat.

Chet Atkins could have taken a lot of people's favorite shred guitarist to school, and even then they would have to stay after class to get extra credit.

14. NoFret

NoFret

Feb 15, 2003
    East Sussex , UK

E-mail them ......I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture :D
    He's an awesome player BTW ...Doesnt get the recogniton he deserves !

Nick

15. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Now he'll get the recognition he deserves and a great view:eek:

Great bass player & Great band = :D

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego