1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Beck IV Bass Bridge ????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TimboZ, Jan 10, 2012.

1. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Cant find a lot of info on them.

Any body know if the string spacing is adjustable? (It looks like it is)

Also is it any better than a Hipshot A bridge.

This is the only info I found
    $(KGrHqV,!pcE7Bcvjlv2BO7NE!Ph1Q~~60_3.

Fender Roscoe Beck ROLLER bass bridge assembly which can be used as top loading or string through. This bridge is certainly not for the faint of heart... it combines a solid steel bridge plate with a thick chrome plating with cast brushed aluminum bridge saddles containing rollers that the strings sit over to reduce friction and ease bending. Did I forget to mention its MADE IN THE USA!? It weighs a hefty 7.5 ounces so you know the sustain will be great. The string spacing is 2-3/8", it is a string through AND top loading bridge with a three screw mount spaced 3/4" apart from each other. These bridges measure 3-1/16" across X 2-1/16" wide and 5/8" tall

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got one I bought for a project and the body I ordered for a 3 screw bridge (without string through holes) came drilled for a 5 screw bridge so the beck bridge is sitting in the parts pile. I'm thinking next time I order a body I'll try again to get a 3 screw bridge layout, or maybe just request a ground wire hole only and do the bridge layout myself.

Oh and BTW, string spacing is adjustable, saddles can be locked in place once adjusted, it's string through or top load and it's every bit as hefty as the blurb claims. It's actually a two piece unit with the back section bolting to the bottom plate so locktite would be in order as well.

All in all I think if the name badass was not already taken, it would be an apt name for the Beck IV bridge.

3. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Thanks fhm555,

The screw hole pattern is not an issue, I am building the body myself.

I currently have a Hipshot A style with .750 string spacing but need the spacing a tad bit wider than I can adjust the Hipshot to.

So I an thinking about a Hipshot A style with .787 spacing or the
    Roscoe Beck.

4. Just snagged one off fleabay unused for $118

Looks like $150 anywhere else

I like the string spacing feature and lock down

Serious looking hardware from Fender

006-3512-000.

5. I bet I can leave the back plate off (it is a 2 piece unit) and go string through

The lock downs should hold the saddles in place

Now, THAT would be cool !!!

:cool:

6. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    SolarMan, what are you gonna put the bridge on?

Keep the back on. I like the looks of the back.

I still didn't pick one up yet. Have not done much with the build in a while.

IMG_4791.

I think I will choose between the Hipshot or a Fender HMV.

I might get lucky and have some time this weekend to cut the body out and route the neck pocket.

Then decide on what bridge to use.

7. It's going on an MIA p-bass -

stock bridge gives me 18.5mm center to center. I want to make it 19mm

the stock bridge (exactly like the one in your picture) has 'adjustment slots' that don't keep the string spacing even

This Roscoe Beck bridge and even the old Big Block bridge (same but without the lock down screws) lets you micro adjust your string spacing.

I have heard that they are a little difficult to work with but with some patience there is no reason that a perfect setup can't be obtained with the "Big Block" style bridges.

And if I don't like it? Back to my 18.5mm spacing and live with it.

That single coil quarter pounder you got there is a great pickup - got one in my squier cv 50's P

Good luck with your build and get going! :)

8. Does anyone know what it would be the replacement screw for the saddle of the roscoe beck IV bridge?
    Recently bought a RBIV and one of the screws are missing

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Can you post a picture of your bridge showing what's missing?

10. attachment.

attachment.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

11. bump

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hey, zombie thread revival
    I never did see an answer to MoWBass's question.
    My RB IV is also missing the intonation adjustment screw on the A string bridge saddle (for some odd reason).
    Its odd because I know I adjusted the intonation when I got the bass from another TB'er about 6 months ago. Never had one of these go missing.
    Right now, it would appear that the bridge saddle is freestanding (!) .. although the tension spring is still there (even more oddness).

so, anyone know where I can find one, or a set of these hex head bridge saddle intonation adjustment screws.
    the RB IV manual calls them out as Fender part # 0063850000 Skt Screw or 0063851000 Skt Screw. The Fender parts diagram shows 1 kind for D & G, and another for E & A (even more oddness).

anyone help a brother out ?