1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

roscoe beck IV or deluxe american jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Minor, Dec 8, 2006.

1. title says it all, i can't decide which i want to play, i LOVE jazz basses but the roscoe beck appears to be everything i want (the guitar place near me only has the jazzes with rosewood fretboards and i want a maple one). I haven't played either yet so i was wondering if the people that have played them or even own them could give me a comparison of the two with all the pro's and con's for each that you can think.

also should i get the jazz would it be best to leave the neck that it has own it or would it be ok to swap it out for a different one with a maple fretboard?

2. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Ive owned both (currently on the RBIV) and had an american deluxe Jazz for about 5 years. Its hard to do this comparison because the current american deluxe J's have different pickups and preamps than the 97 model I had. To me though the RB sounds more like a Jazz than the american deluxe I had plus you have tons of different tonal options with it with all the available pickup configurations.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

RB IV :bassist:

4. yea that's what i was figuring but i thought i'd at least give the jazz bass a fighting chance and ask you guys for opinions, i'm still open but you two told me exactly what i expect (and wanted) to hear!

5. the r.beck sig is quite a versatile bass.The D Tuner helps!!!

6. i don't quite know how to ask this question but which....feels better....the last bass that i had was a marcus miller jazz bass and it FELT amazing to me, especially slapping...i can't even describe it but i haven't been able to get that same feeling with any other bass...they just i dunno....now that i think about it......marcus miller jazz vs roscoe beck IV

7. I've owned a 2000 J Deluxe and curently own a RBV. Both are incredible basses and you would be very happy with either.

The construction on both basses are great, I think I may like the feel of the RBV a bit more, but as far as versatility of sound goes, I'd have to say the active electronics on the J Deluxe sounded better than the RBV, though you are able to dial in a bunch of stuff on the RB. The J Deluxe just happened to have the best electronics of any bass I've owned.

But again, both are high quality instruments that'll get the job done and then some. :bassist: