Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, May 13, 2005.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was looking at one of these today. Is the lack of active EQ a big drawback with this bass? Is it better than the American Precision Deluxe?

2. It's a great BG, but I wouldn't call it better than Am. Prezz Deluxe.. The neck differs quite a lot, it doesn't sound the same.. I'm thinking about buying an Am. Prezz, so thanks for bringing that up! :)

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The lack of active EQ is only a drawback if that's what you want. I love passive Fenders, but would like one bass with more on-board flexibility than a Jazz or Precision, so the Roscoe Beck 4 has enormous appeal for me.

The pickup switching options provide huge tonal versatility -- maybe not like a good three band preamp, but well beyond most passive basses. If you want passive with flexibility, I can't think of a better choice just based on specs. I've been looking for months for one to test in a store (I've tried the fiver), but every dealer tells me it's a special order model. I might just have to order on line and take my chances. Hope the Lake Placid Blue model with rosewood still has the painted headstock!

4. Rick...

Were you checking this out at Legends?

I saw this same one today. Looks real nice, but I had the same questions about it. Seems like it would be difficult to deal with when playing live as those switches are kind of small...

Scott

btw...are you a cyclist? I do a lot of local riding with the Freewheelers myself....

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Yes, I saw it at Legends. It also was outfitted with a D-tuner. I haven't had a passive bass in years, so that would be a change for me. I probably would get used to the switches after a few months!

I ride mostly on the Suncoast Trail beginning at Lutz Lake Fern Road. I typically ride up to 52 or Shady Hills Road and back, or out Starkey and back. I ride my mountain bike on a circuit that takes me on both sides of Morris Bridge Road.

Let me know what you're riding and I'll look for you.

6. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Where is Legends with its Roscoe Beck IV? As it happens, I'll be near Tampa in a few weeks, and I would make the road trip if I could test one of these out. (Unless one of you buys it first!)

I agree the pickup series/parallel/single switches would be difficult to adjust live, but the guitar-style pickup selector might be easier than a blend knob. I would definitely use that on some tracks.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
  8. :cool: I used to own an RB-5. The switches aren't really a problem. The only ones that I used during a song were the 3-way, and it's a nice big one, and the pull-up, and it's real easy to pull or push. The two small switches I would set before the song started and didn't change them during the song, no need to. Of course, each player is different and you just may want to play with these little ones during the song.

9. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
  10. We will be at Flatwoods tomorrow, (Monday the 16th) and Thursday. Call me if you want to meet there....

That RB is great! I would snatch it up if I didn't just get my Modulus back...traded it for a MM SR5 that went out on me....glad it was still at the GC to get back....

SB