1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Beck IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 27, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    anyone play one?

and what do those pups sound like? can you get like, p/j sounds?

i'm interested in trying one out.

i know how you guys feel about fender....

but it still looks so amazing.

2. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    It's an extremely versatile bass. It does the Jazz bass sound really well. The neck pickup solo'd does a decent "P" imitation, but it's not as close as the "J" sound.

3. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I literally just put mine down after playing it for an hour.

I strongly agree with what sb69 said. It gets very close to a J, in the neighborhood of a P, and can do the parallel sound too. I enjoy mixing and matching, like single coil at the bridge pickup and parallel at the neck. But frankly, I use it more than anything else with both in SC, and the tone knob pulled out to emulate that 1/3 volume, 2/3 volume setting that Roscoe enjoys.

Gripes? I can't get the E string to intonate with the TI flats I'm using, the bridge just doesn't have enough travel for it. Also, and this is minor, I just don't like varnished necks-I'm spoiled by my old Laklands and my Sadowskys, but I'm too lazy to sand it down.

The detuner on the E is nice. All in all, a very good sounding bass. The neck is pretty hand-filling. No dead spots.