1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe beck Roscoe?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mat b, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    So I'm thinking about modding my Roscoe skb 3006. I was talking to my local luthier and he thinks it should be fairly easy. So I'm thinking each pickup would have a 3 way mini-switch... Single tap, series, and parallel. Volume would have a push pull pot... Active, and passive. The mid pot would remain the same push pull... high, low. Blend would still blend. And the bass/treble stack would remain the same, with the treble pot doubling as the passive master tone. What do you guys think? Should I go for possibly the most versatile electronics ever? Or not risk the already almighty tone of the Roscoe?

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa

Just ask yourself- Do you REALLY need all those options, or are you just bored? Modding is not unlike GAS, and its taken ahold of many :crying: I used to want something like that, but since have been content with passive electronics, thus broke away from the mod-habit. Been clean for a while now :p Less to worry about, more focus on playing ya know? But do whatever you feel like, if you do go through with it let us know how it goes!

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, just think about each component of these proposed mods individually.

1) To have series/parallel/single coil switches for each pickup, the pickups have to have 4-connector wiring, so that you have access to the hot and ground wires for each coil. Barts are sealed, so if your pickups don't have 4 connectors, you'd have to replace the pickups to do this. And of course, depending on how the pickups are wound, they may or may not sound any good in these other modes. Also, I don't know the coil structure on the pickups you have in your Roscoe, but if they're split-coil, switching them into single-coil mode would only give you half the strings.

2) Active/passive switch in the volume control should be simple enough. Many of the standard Bart preamp wiring harnesses come with one pre-installed.

3) Having the active treble boost/cut act as a passive tone control in passive mode would be a neat feature, but I believe it's harder to do than it sounds, because active EQs generally use rather different pot types than a passive tone does. There are a couple of preamps like the Delano Hybrid system than do this, but I'm pretty sure they use special custom pots. You almost certainly couldn't do it with the pot that's currently in the bass.

Mike

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    +1 on all 3 points.

It is especially important to find out about the pickup coils before you drill holes in the top of the bass for switches.

5. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    Thanks for your replys everyone... Yeah I figured I would have to get some custom pickups... I'm leaning against it now... Just wanted to blow my tax dollars I guess haha

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The Roscoe Barts are four wire pickups and can be used successfully as single coils.

7. Hey guys, just curious, are the stock bart quad coils for the Roscoe wired in series?

Jimbob

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Parallel

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020