1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Beck V - Absolute Bliss

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 15, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Went to the NY International Auto Show today, and seeing that it was overcrowded and not much new or exciting to show, I quickly moved on. The same way I always do, towards 48th Street :)

First stop was Manny's where they had a Roscoe Beck V, which I finally got to try! FAT neck, much bigger than I expected, but it fit fine. Electronics were AMAZING, as I could coaxe any tone imaginable out of it. Could get thin and brittle, could get jazz, major booty, awesome depth, and still sound good through my GK.

I asked about a RBIV. They had no idea it was out :(

I'd like to try a four before I go looking for one. :)

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Wow... they let you play it?
    If you would have asked to play the Fodera there, they'd have said no :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've seen it there and I was really tempted, but I know that the salesman is going to stick around to watch me play it and I always get messed up on 5-strings...so I dont want to make an a$$ of myself. Try out anything else nice?

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Did you check out Rudy's across the street? Expensive, but the past few times I've been there I've managed to get nice sales reps. Theres one guy whos a total douche and just stands there, sipping his coffee... reluctant to even look at you.

(BTW, I also found the cow-orker proclaimed "bass expert" to be a little lacking in knowledge.)

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, if you ask, and of course schmooze them a bit with your knowledge that you've picked up from years at TB, they really take you seriously.

The guy gave me his card and I told him I'd give him a call in the summer when I'd be more likely to place the order.

He even apologized for the high action, the weather's been crazy lately.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yessir, I did. Saw a Fender Bass VI that I drooled over, a black '66 Jazz that I REALLY drooled over, and we talked effects for a while. We talked upright gear, electric gear, amps, basses, effects, etc.

Really nice guy there too. Although Mr. Pensa himself was staring down my brother and his friend that were just sitting there waiting for me.

6. paulverio

paulverio

Jan 25, 2006
    Canuck Land
    i can definitely relate! this is the sunburst one that I ordered after playing with a teal green rbv that my uncle owns.

[​IMG]

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i would love to try one of those, but that'll happen when hell freezes over. i can't see a store here ordering one without a definite buyer.

that being said, the signature instruments that fender makes in the USA are very well crafted instruments, and i would be very surprised if your review was negative tplyons.

my teacher has a Marcus Miller 5 thats also made in the US, and it is a VERY solidly built instrument.

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, your uncle owns.

9. paulverio

paulverio

Jan 25, 2006
    Canuck Land
    steve21, that's actually my gear :)

he does have quite a collection though.. like two pearl drum kits, a tele, two strats, a parker fly, a gibson lp, a teal green rbv, and an mij jazz.. hmm i might have forgotten some stuff :D

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Fender RB5 - the bass so nice I bought it twice!

I traded for the second, but why let the truth get in the way of my freestylin'?

11. Fuzzbass

Seriously - yeah, the RB5 is heavy, but I looooove the solid asymmetrical neck profile. The RB5 has my second favorite neck profile (#1 is the MTD 535). And the cool array of tones that this bass can produce has already been mentioned.

12. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I liked my RBV so much I got a RBIV to go with it. What a great pair!

13. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

My RBV performed quite well this weekend; 5 sets of Easter services, 9 songs each. I was able to use three different settings.............it just sounds lush!:D

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

How does it compare to the Sadowsky 5 string neck profile ?

15. Fuzzbass

I loooooove the feel of my Sadowsky fiver, but I love the RB5 a bit more. I'm guessing the asymmetrical profile is the key, seeing as how my two favorite playin' basses have had this feature.

16. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Just picked up the RBIV after shopping every make, verity and model of Fender bass out there... it's as though it were custom made for me! I'm also in bliss! And the sound is like no other bass I"ve heard..

17. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    wow. a double buck and a roscoe beck. you've got a thing for big humbuckers.

18. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL

I do... I'll stand guilty! :p

I've gotten back into Bass after a 12 year break from music, and my last instrument was a Specter NS-2 with EMG's which I loved, but when I played the Music Man bass shortly after getting back into bass I fell in love with the tone of the hum's.. didn't like the bulk of the MM however..

My dream bass, and I"m hoping to find a clean used one for a good price is a Wal.. :crying:

19. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    man o man, i wish i had a $$ or katana and that RBIV

or maybe a spector rebop or dingwall AB I four string in the warwicks place.