Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck V Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 59jazz, Nov 22, 2004.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Any RB5 users here? Pros / cons? likes / dislikes? Is the B string floppy / tight?
    How much do these basses weigh?

Thanks, H2

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Another RB5 user reporting in :)
    No real cons, the attention of detail is better on the MTD (but that was completely hand made :p), the RB5 is superb, way better than any other Fender I played, very good solid tone behind it, in fact I get torn between my MTD and my RB5 as to which I should spend my playing time.
    I've strung my bass with DRs and D'Addario's and no problems with a floppy B, my bass is about 9-10pounds?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think I'll just use this as an opportunity to post the pics of mine. I had Rotos on the green one, and I didn't like 'em, so I plopped some Fender strings on it, now it sounds mo' bitchen. On the 'burst one, it had crap strings on it when I bought it, so I slapped some TI Power Bass strings on it. They're a lighter gauge, but also sound mo' bitchen.

Now the floppy B thing. For 34-inch scale basses, there's only one thing that will affect the floppiness of the B. The string construction. All 34-inch scale basses will have the same tension in the B string if they are strung with the same string. You don't want floppy B? Buy stiffer strings. Don't buy TI Jazz Flats, they're slinky. The only other way to increase the tension in your strings is to buy a longer scale bass.

Each set of strings has its own characteristics and, as such, requires a different touch and technique. Learn to adapt to varying string tension if you want to be any good at what you do. That way, you can exploit and enjoy the subtle nuances of tone that each string has to offer. It's such a lovely thing.

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    munji, love that green dude...

5. Back in 1997, I seriously considered the RB5 but didn't get one becasue I wanted at lest 35" scale. Awesome bass though. Are there in NOS RB5s left?

6. They're still in production, so you don't need to look for "New Old StocK"--you can just buy "New".

Mike

7. Whoa, Munji.

That sunburst RB5 looks so good. :eek: :bassist:

I just might delay getting the Mike Dirnt and get an RB5.

Mike

8. I had a 1997 RB5 in Shoreline Gold. Weighed 10' 12" on my beam balance scale. Excellent balance. Premium tuners and bridge.

Nailed the vintage J tone. Nice neck, even though very wide. Neck thickness changed from year to year, I'm told.

IMO, about the best 5-string J bass there is... and certainly the best 5-string Fender J-bass.

9. I haven't played an RB5 since I had long hair.

How hi fi sounding are they? I mean, are they as versatile as a bass with active pups and a pre?

10. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I own one and imo, they sound like a bass should sound, solid, and it cuts through very well, not at all high fi...as far as comparing it to a active bass, it can hold hold its own and then some, I bet if you run it through a outboard preamp...like a Sadowsky, it may just put most other basses in its class to shame. :cool:

11. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

That's it, I'm gettin' one! :hyper: I just listened to a clip on the Fender web site.................pretty much what I'm lookin for.
    Hey Munji...nice green one you got there!
    I read a review on the RB5, stating that the body is cut like a jazz...............Am I blind? it looks closer to a P shape to me.

Gentlemen, thanks for your input and support!

H2

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I had a RB 5 for about three years. It is the best sounding passive fiver out there at it's price point(and one of the best at any price point). I liked the wide/thin neck although it was an acquired taste. Incredibly flexible tone selection.
    I could never get the action as low as I like without major string buzz but that was not a deal breaker. If passive, 5 string Jazz bass tone is your thing you'll do well with the RB5.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I too have two RB5's. I typically keep one strung with flats, the other with rounds. I play the RB5 as much as any bass I own, including the pricier ones.

Oh: I typically use tapered B and E strings. When properly intonated the B string sounds great, even when tuned down to Eb.

14. Well, what I mean by hi fi tone, is can it reproduce Trever Dunn's tone(when he uses the Alembic) and can it also get the hi fi slap tone, like Marcus Miller, and some of the hi fi sounding bass in modern r&b music?

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I bought that used off the wall at GC last month. It is flawless, and required only a new set of strings to completely cherry it out.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Their fi is hi. Lots of tones in there.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's a Jazz Bass. Look right behind the bridge ... notice how the space behind is not even?

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    hell it puts a lot of real good basses to shame without a Sadowsky outboard preamp and who ever else who has a outboard preamp.BTW I find that basses that are of the 9.5 to 10 lbs variety or a little heavier like the RB5/Jazz basses has that real "punch in the stomach type presence that I like,something I could not get from a great deal my highend basses that I've had over the years.

19. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    They have a nice Gotoh bridge with an amazing number of set screws to adjust and keep track of...makes me think of blue Loctite.

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    There is nothing really hi fi about Marcus's slap tone,damn'er all the 70's Jazz basses with a maple neck sound that way when they are (thumped)slap.;