Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck V Neck Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Aug 5, 2002.

1. I've been perusing the threads concerning the Roscoe Beck V, and have read some comments that the neck is either "thick" or "wide". I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how it compares to the Fender Deluxe FMT V, which I currently own.

danke

greg

ps - did someone mention that a 4 string version was going to come out?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The RB5's is wider, about the same thickness. I own both basses.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know - if you read any of the stuff about how they developed the bass, a lot of the hardware was specially designed - like the pickups - and it took several years of RB working with people at Fender.

I think there would be no incentive for him to work on a 4-string as he would just use his '60s Jazz bass. So his "brief" was for something that sounded exactly like his 64 Jazz bass, but could cancel hum in some rooms and have 5 strings!

So the 4 string "version" is his 64 Jazz bass!! ;)

4. not so fast, Bruce- if you dig out the Bassist interview he did you'll see a pic of him using the 4string prototype in shoreline gold that Smash refers to- with two double-jazz humbuckers and a Gotoh bridge like on the RB5. (Feb 96, p24)

he also mentions the need for 22frets on his basses, as he uses all of them, especially for two-handed tapping- not found on a 64' Jazz;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

But obviously that never went into production, so they would have to re-design components like the pickups for the production line. That was the main point I was making and that Roscoe Beck himself would have no incentive to work on this, as he already has the bass(es) that he wants.

I do remember from the interviews that he was saying he didn't realise how much work would be involved - so presumably he doesn't want to go through all that again?

Also - there is no evidence that the 4-string prototype actually worked in the way that the 5-string does or is as good a bass? A "test-bed" is very different from a working practical instrument, for example?

6. Bruce Lindfield

I wasn't saying that! Just that RB himself has the basses he needs so there is no incentive for him to get involved with all the re-design work.

I think he said it took about 2 years to finish the RB5 - presumably he just doesn't have the time or incentive to do this again?

The thing about the 4 -string "version" was just a joke - smiley...?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm.... I wonder how good Mr. Beck's lawyers are? :D

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Forget the 4. Fender: Bring on the Roscoe Beck 6!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well I do remember that the Fender Custom shop said they would build you a RB6 ! I think there were problems though and they contracted out the work?

10. toms

toms

Aug 22, 2000
    I just bought a American Jazz Deluxe 5 NOS 1998. I was looking at the RB 5 jazz, however I didn't want to wait for it to ship.

I believe the back of the neck is tapered towards the D & G strings(asymetrical). The width is the same.

The new 2002 ADJ5 have the G string tuner on the bottom of the head stock like the RB5.

I read on R Becks web site, there are only two in the world and someone had stolen his. He does have a 6 string version of this bass, however Fender did not help prototype it and there are no plans to re-produce it at this time.

BTW, I traded my MM5 in on the AD Jazz 5....love it!!

11. well, in the Bassist interview he's pictured playing the 4 live- he says "I have a prototype 4 also, both 22 frets, and I use them all" - this was after the RB5 had been developed- he was still using the 4 as well.

he's also pictured on the front of his tuition video with the 4, also, in the Bass Player interview he did april 94' -

"the one he uses the most is a prototype Fender jazz bass that's finished in Shoreline gold (see photo p.53) this custom axe has a 22fret maple neck, a hiphot Xtender key, and double-coil J bass pickups"

-sounds like the 4 was a "working practical instrument", Bruce ;)

the long time and large amount of work involved in developing the RB5, in particular the pickups, was largely down to it being a 5string- the magnet design was specifically chosen to cope with the large mass of a B string, and to reduce the magnetic pull on the string.

therefore a 4 would be pretty easy to produce- Bill Lawrence already makes double-jazz 4string humbuckers.

another problem was Roscoe Beck wanting elephant-ear style traditional machineheads that would still balance- answer= special large-post Hipshot Ultralites.
    with only 4 machineheads there isn't the problem, or if there is, the Ultralites are always there.

I suspect why there isn't an RB4 is down to Fender thinking an RB4 wouldn't sell.

12. I had a look at RB's site www.roscoebeck.com

here is the stolen 4string prototype, that's still missing;

[​IMG]

http://www.roscoebeck.com/gear.htm#stolen

he says;

"I usually take three basses out with me these days; the signature five-string of course, my main instrument, but also a four string version of the signature bass, a prototype built by Todd Krause in the Fender Custom shop that I just love. Rounding out the essential basses is the trusty Zeta UpRite bass. I've never played anything quite like it: it's as sturdy as can be and has its own thing sound-wise"

It's unclear whether the stolen bass is the 4stringRB prototype.