Roscoe Beck V

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

RBV users, what strings do you use? Length? Thru body or bridge? Anyone use Elixrs on an RBV?

2. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I actually do use a pair of elixirs on my rbV, run through the bridge I think. The sound is amazing, smooth, cuts through in the mix. Been using the same pair for over a year and it still sounds brand new!
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I had a set of La Bella Slappers on mine and they fit perfectly. I also had a set of La Bella Super Steps and they were pretty good too I think.
  4. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    bump for more ideas!!
  5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member's been awhile! So far I have tried the following:
    K Smith Burners (so far the best nickel round), Labella Hard rockin Steels, Elixir Nano Webs, GHS Super Steels (didn't like these at all), Chromes, DR Hi-Beams Roto 555s (to gritty, lean bottom), and K Smith Slick Rounds. I'm back to the Burners, and would like to give the LaBella HR's a second try. I'd also like to try the Fender 8250's and the D'Adarrio XL's.
  6. Currently La Bella Hard Rocking, just ordered four more sets after listening to a recording of my bass, sounded really well.

Rotosounds, seems to die fast...
    DR, are ok but perhaps a bit sterile...
    Elixir's was to noisy for me (statics when not contacting porperly thru coating)...

Only draw back for me on La Bella is that they may feel a bit sloppy, not sure.

Incidently La Bella's are what RB himself uses according to home page.

I dropped going thru body, often they would not reach over nut + takes too much time to change.
  7. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I just received my RBV in the mail today (Thanks, Pickles!), and after playing it for about 20 minutes, I've decided that I do not like the Prosteels that are on it. All clank, not much else.

Pickles also sent the bass with Elixers, Super Slinkies, and (IIRC) Sadowsky nickels, so I'll give those a try, starting with Elixers. Eventually when I finish my SX "slap bass" project I'll put TIs or Chromes on the RBV for a while, to see what works best.
  8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I usually play thru the house mix and headphones; no amps on stage. The elixirs cut nicely thru the mix, and the HR's did too. The Chromes I felt were a great sounding string, full and punchy thru the house, and one could get a real nice warm growl by switching to the rear p/up in series. My issue with them was, that they were to stiff for my fretting hand, especially when it's cold on the stage. Btw, there's a discusion on LaBella HR's and Carvin Stainless strings in the string forum....................HR's in a Carvin pakage?....for $13.00.
  9. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Do you have a link to this discussion? I can't seem to find it.

Also, This is the strings forum. The title could use a bit more detail. ;)
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You're welcome -- enjoy. The elixers are good, especially on the B which is really warm and punchy. Hi beams were good. My Hard Rockin Steel set was clipped too short on the D and wouldn't fit. That'd be my first choice for a set if you were going to buy something. Love the B and E on that HRS set.

Carvin strings are cool but don't feel like HRS to me, at least the last time I tried them.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels: love 'em

Ken Smith Tapercore steels: love 'em

Elixir Nanowebs: love 'em

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats: like 'em. That's high praise coming from a roundwound guy.

Rotosound RS-66 stainless rounds: like 'em.

D'Addario Slowounds: didn't like 'em.

Waiting in the wings:

LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass nylon tapes. I have a feeling I'll like these. I'll have to A/B 'em with the Jazz Flats.

I have sets of DR Hi Beams, Fat Beams, and Lo Riders lying around, but don't plan on trying 'em on my RB5 simply because I have a hunch I won't like 'em. This is because the DR strings tend to have a smooth modern vibe, and that's not what I look for from my RB5. If I change my mind it'll be to try the Lo Riders.
  12. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    After more playing on the Prosteels, I like the feel (especially of the B string!) but not the tone. I need a good roundwound string set that would have more of a "vintage" quality and musical texture, while still retaining "that" slap tone? The Elixers?
  13. I think you should try some GHS Pressurewounds. They've got enough zing to produce a good slap tone, but don't have overbearing highs and retain nice bottom. I used them on my Roscoe Beck awhile back before I started putting DR's on everything...

Good luck!
  14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hard Rockin Steels, amigo.