Roscoe Beck V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Does anyone have any pics of a Roscoe Beck V in the three color sunburst?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  3. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    Thanks much! how do you like the sound of that bass?, B string, etc...
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fantastic! Has an excellent B-string. In fact I just recorded with my RB5, choosing it over my fancy high-dollar boutiques. My band recorded a demo of blues/Motown tunes, and the RB5 was the perfect fit, especially when run through the studio's circa-1965 Fender Bassman head.

Bottom line: the RB5 gives a nice array of classic Fender-y tones across all five strings. Tons of warmth and growl, and even though it's passive, some settings work fine for dialing in some top-end zing.
  5. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002

Thanks much for the response, ya know, this might be a dump question so please forgive me it it is, I am only asking because I have not tried one yet but would like to, my question is

what kind of slap tone does this bass have, considering its all passive?

all replies welcome:bassist:
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It doesn't have the superbright Marcus slap tone, but it's at least as good as any passive jazz for slapping. It's certainly not lacking in low end. Listen to Beck on the Eric Johnson tune "Manhattan" for some good examples.
  7. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Just got my RB5 sunburst today. No pics yet. It has the tortoise shell pick guard - classic looking!
    Haven't had much time with it yet and haven't played it through my full rig. So far very pleased with it. The "B" is fine - not as tight as a 35" scale but is fairly focused and defined - (IMHO excellent for a 34" scale bass). Loads of tones. The neck is comfortable and I have fairly small hands. String spacing is same as my '72 jazz - which is why I picked this over the Stingray. I'd recommend this bass to anyone.

Got mine of of eBay and there's a shoreline gold one there now.