Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck Video????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by camerondye, Mar 29, 2001.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Has anybody seen the Roscoe Beck video? Is it as good as Bass Player says?
    cam

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without knowing which video you are asking about, I can say I have two Beck videos, both are introductions to playing blues. Both are excellent. One is more advanced than the other. I have them downstairs, so I am too lazy to go down and check the exact names. Beck explains things very clearly.

If you are referring to either one of those, I'll be glad to dig them out of my video cabinet and provide you with more information.

However, could it be that Beck has made yet another video? I don't know about it if he has. I would guess, that if it has the same quality of information that his blues instruction videos have, you will like it and learn from it.

jo

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I guess I should have clarified a little better. I wasn't talking about the 2 video blues videos set, I was asking about the Blues Foundations video.
    cameron

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The Blues Foundations video is excellent and is one of my favorite bass instruction videos. Beck tells you about some of the most reconizable bassline patterns in blues, discusses some of the most important blues artists such as Elwood James and demonstrates important rythmns blues bass players should be able to play such as shuffles, walking bass and "Latin inflected blues" like that of Bo Diddley.

This video is especially cool because the great blues contemporary guitarist Robbin Ford and the drummer Tom Breichtlein of the band Blues Line, of which Beck is also a member, play the examples.

It has a booklet that comes with the video. That is a help. It is written in both tab and standard notation.

Lastly, Beck plays some of his advanced techniques such as his two-handed tapping technique that manages to have an organ-like sound.

The video lasts 90 minutes and is published by REH videos. It has been several years since I bought it, so I no longer remember what I paid, but I have been very pleased with it.

jason