Roscoe Beck vs. Brad Houser vs. L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Aug 2, 2002.

1. OK, I'm selling off a Matt Pulcinella Level 5 because I want a less modern-sounding bass. Originally I had my heart set on a Reverend Brad Houser, but have been offered G&L L-2500's by two different people in partial trade. Also, I know the Fender Roscoe Beck has electronics that are very similar to those in the Reverend.

I know a lot about trading basses, but haven't spend much time with a Reverend or Roscoe Beck in my hands (I have owned a few G&L's, including my favorite bass, which is a fretless L2000).

So (even though I know I can't go terribly wrong with any of these), what are your thoughts out there???

The Brad is semi-hollow, which is cool -- the G&L has a preamp -- and the Fender is. . . well. . . a Fender. But what bass has the best overall mix of "Old School-ness" and versatility?

Thanks. . .
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

I'll have to agree with you there, Mr. Walsh.
  3. Never played the Reverend, but I think I'd actually take the L2500 over the Roscoe Beck. The G&L's low B isn't as massive as the Beck's, but the neck is a lot more comfortable (narrower and thicker) and the electronics do add a lot of versatility, although they're unacceptably noisy for recording.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If the L-2500 were available with wider spacing it would be my choice. AFAIK G&L has no interest in building a wider five, a move that just baffles the heck out of me. I've played Reverends but not the BH model and they were cool but not for me. Of the three I'd go with the Beck, only by default.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've heard that Reverends in general don't slap well. Just something to keep in mind.