Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Century Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgartist, Aug 3, 2005.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone played the new Roscoe Century Bass? I like that body shape better. But why the huge price difference?
    (Help, Gard)

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    It's not a new model...been out for a little while now.
    There's two models the Century, and the Century Signature. The Century Signature is more costly because it has a "wedge" neck, choice of top woods with a carved top. The Century has a Maple top only and it's flat-top with no carving. I believe both Century models have a slightly larger body than the SKB and both use Ash for a body wood.
    Gard, fill in the blanks of where I've left out.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    This little chunk of exhibition quilt will soon transform itself into a Century Signature V. The difference, as mentioned above, is really only seen in the signature model due to the fact that the wedge neck is included in the price. The Standard, flat top, is on par with your average SKB or LG.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As has been pointed out, there are actually two versions of the Century, the Standard which is a "flat top" bass and is the least expensive model, and the Signature which is carved and is the most expensive model (referring to "base price" of models).

The Signature is so expensive because of several factors, as Vic mentions, the wedge neck (which retails for $400) is one of those factors. Also, the amount of material in the body is greater, as it is a larger body, and requires a larger body blank to start from. We also can offer the body in more than just ash for the Signature (the Standard is ash/maple only right now.......right now.............:ninja: ). There is a good deal more labor involved in making the Signature as well, the carving time is almost 50% longer than an SKB body.

If you have any further questions about the bass, please feel free to PM or e-mail me at any time!

...hey, I see some of my photography skilz up there...

:)

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Whydoncha snap a few more pics upindatplace...not suggesting *what* you might snap one of....ha ha...

6. Is there a pic available of the body style?

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would love to have one of these in a six string!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh snap! Nice avatar Will!

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Here's the carved top Century Signature body style, and the other photo is of the wedge neck. This particular example shows a center laminate of Bolivian rosewood flanked by thin lams of rosita (from a previous LG custom order). Enjoy! ;)

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cool! Same bass.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I just noticed that...you beat me to the punch! :D

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We seem to be typing at the same time.......oh wait, I'm an hour ahead of you being that I'm on the East Coast! ;)

13. Very nice, guys!

Yeah, I wanna see one of those in a six with 19mm spacing. :smug:

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I saw that bass...Scott Reed had it in the store in Greensboro. All maple. Very very bright, especially with a Demeter pre. I didn't play it, but Scott plugged it in and got a great tone out of it (he's a terrific player tho!)

Will

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks Andy!

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I right there with ya man!

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, that's the bass you were talking about!

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm pretty sure that's the one!

19. I don't know guys.....that's a pretty 5-string, but I really like the SKB. I prefer the sculpted top vs. the flat top.

"I want my...I want my...I want my S-K-B!" ;)

:p :eyebrow:

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.