1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Century Standard and Plus thread...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know there's a sponsored Roscoe forum here, but I think a lot of TB mainly hits the main Basses forum, so I thought it'd be good to cross pollinate a little.

So here's the deal... the Century Standard (and later Plus models... which you can get figured tops on) is not brand new. They've been out now since the 2008 NAMM show (Jan/2008), so over 4 years. But I think they're pretty underrated.

I've had some nice Roscoes in my day, and these models stand up to them on many levels for a lot less money. And keep in mind these are full USA made instruments. They save money and lower the selling price by simplifying the design and manufacturing process, and limiting options.

We reviewed a couple of these a while back and I was seriously impressed... enough to buy one of my own. And when they offered the J style pickups, it was game over. I've always kinda' liked the soapbars, but the J style pickups just pushed it over the top for me.

I have a lot of really nice basses, and my Century Standard V JJ has become a regular player along with anything else I own.

I'm starting this thread mainly because I did a search in the Basses forum for anything with Century (let alone Century Standard) in the title and pretty much didn't find anything that should be revived or revised for this.

I'm thinking these either are, or should be, flying off the shelves at light speed noting the performance to price ratio, so there should be a BUNCH of TB'ers out there with experience if not ownership.

I'd just like to see some commentary from these people to see if their experiences reflect mine, or whatever, just what they think.

Hope this thread flies... I'm really interested to compare notes!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    yeah, I guess they're ok ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I think they're the best deal going in basses right now. Flat out killer playability and tone, plus jaw-dropping looks. Can't be beat!

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Possibly the best bang for the buck in a boutique right now. Original design, made in NC, sound and play great.

4. Roscoe's have always intrigued me... beautiful basses. But I've always been scared to pull the trigger on one due to the crazy amount of wood options.

Sometimes less is more.

5. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Give Gard a call. He's the encyclopedia of wood. If you know the tone you're going for, he can get you there. After that, it's just looks.

6. I'm too picky to go off verbal descriptions - especially if putting down a custom order. I'll need to physically play a Roscoe before I could commit.

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Fair enough - a custom is a big commitment. It's definitely worth it to seek out, at the very minimum, a Roscoe made from each of the three (or even four) main body woods - ash, mahogany, spanish cedar and alder. IMO, this is the biggest variable between instruments. Other owners may disagree. One thing is true, though: Roscoe is knocking it out of the park these days, making KILLER instruments!

8. how about you ship me out your Roscoe(s) so I have a good idea of how they sound.

i promise i'll ship em' back :)

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Try the Century Standard first. It'll give you a great idea of the general Roscoe thing, and you can get both the JJ and the soapbar model. If they don't float your boat, you have the eval period on those from the dealers... no custom commitment to worry about. On the other hand, if they make you drool, then pull the trigger on a custom, or, heck, keep the Standard. As much as I'd like to have a Signature, I have to admit, I'm pretty damn happy with the Standard, hence this thread. :)

10. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm considering a 6 string Century Standard as my entre into that range. Whatever 'corners' they cut to make them reasonably priced, it is not apparent in how it plays. Supporting US craftspeople is a bonus.

On another note - I seem to be following nostatic around like a puppy. His instincts and perspective are pretty solid (vic ain't too shabby either!)

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1!

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Sure man! No problem, just send me your address.

And then hold your breath.

;)

13. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    Vic - the other 6 I'm considering is the MTD (Kingston) AG 6. I know you are also an MTD guy. Any thoughts, over and above the better components and US build of the Rosoce? I have played both, and it's a hard one. (if only 'both' was an option :) )

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Jon, sorry if you got asked this before, but why did you not get a J/MM?
    Maybe my next Roscoe will be J/MM.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, I wanted to get Roscoe's take on an MM5 I had once. There's a LOT of tone in that one pickup setup, and I wanted the different body wood and Roscoe playability, but similar. I briefly considered adding the J pickup, but ultimately decided against it.

16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    So no regret?
    Good thing it worked out for you.

I think in my case I would miss a neck pickup. I have most experience with precision basses and alway lean toward a P sound.

Well, my next bass is probably going to be a fretless 6-string LG, so no MM option on the 6-string I thought.
    But in the future maybe for a nice 5-string the J/MM would be cool.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Man, that's a tough one, because they're pretty much equivalent, despite the Kingston AG not being a USA made instrument, except they won't sound or feel the same, as the AG is really designed to get that AG/MTD sound/feel.

I love the MTD basses, but these days, I find myself gravitating towards the JJ configs with traditional woods a lot more, which would mean I'd personally go for the Roscoe in this case. Plus, I love Mike's asym neck profile, but I still give the edge to Roscoe's more traditional, but also more slender profile. That said, both models are "off the shelf" dealer instruments, so they both fall under eval policy, and they're both excellent at what they do. This might be worth burning shipping on one to check both out and keep the one you like best.

18. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    The first time I played a Century Standard 6 all of the basses on my short list were immediately removed! I also immediately regretted my last 2 bass purchases :) I haven't played the Century Standard 4's or 5's, but the 6 was an absolute revelation to me. I can't rate them highly enough, and this is with no extra anything, completely bone stock.

Bass Specialties in Bensalem is an hour/90 minutes or so drive from you, and has a better selection of nice basses than all of 48th Street combined IMHO. Go, play their Roscoes and A/B a few with the Sadowskys, Lulls, Elricks, etc, they also have and see for yourself.

19. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    Just don't buy the standard 6, cause that's where I'm going for it. :) kidding of course. Glenn is a good friend, and has a great relationship with Roscoe (he plays them as well). I can always have him bring in another if this one went. He has some really nice instruments on the wall (you can see the roscoes and other goodies at http://www.bassspecialties.com )

Jim - I think I'm with you on the feel and sound of that standard 6.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Or have him order a JJ model, which is what I'd personally do. The soaps are cool, but at least for my tastes, the JJ's are better. :)