Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Dec 2, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Anyone have any clips of some Roscoes they care to share? The general concensus seems to be that they have a rather fat, booming, P-Bass type sound. I'd love to hear some...I know there are some fine ones around here.

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    what's up w/ the 4 string at your shop?
    Are we playing it yet?

3. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, I wanna compare it to some others. I'm enjoying the over to 5 so much that I am trying to stay away from the 4, in fear that I'll like it too much.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Fat? yes. Boomy? no. P-Bass? If you want it to be.

I'll try to get some clips up from my solo project with the roscoe. Man it sounds solid and musical....straight into a Peavey TNT too (no extram preamp or pedals or anything).

5. So,
    I've got several clips of my new Roscoe fretless 5 that I can email to you. Send me an email and I'll attach some files with my reply.

I can't figure out how to attach the clips to the Thread. Maybe someone can tell me how....:D

6. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i also have a small low quality clip if you want it feel free to email me. This one is a tad crappy, email me if you want it too John. (im still waiting for goodsoftware :( )

7. Hi guys, I have posted some clips I recorded of my Roscoe a couple of times. They are not great, but they will give you an idea of the basic sounds of the instrument. They were recorded through my rig which is a Eden WT300 (flat with the enhance nob at 8-9 o'clock) into a home built cab miked with a behringer ECM8000 into a crappy behringer mixer into my computers SB Live! value. Whew! Anyway, here they are:

neck pickup
    both pickups (slap)
    bridge pickup

Here is a picture of the bass.
    Here is a picture of the home-built cab (before the top cabinet corners and grille).

I also have some clips of the bass direct into the computer, but they don't sound as good.

-Chris

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Chris: that bass looks mighty sexy and sounds mighty sexy!

DM

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I just traded my Roscoe, but it was a great bass and would get another some day. I had a mahogany body one, and with the characteristics of the electronics and the lacquer finish, I would recommend going with the Spanish Cedar. The reason is because the bass sounded way to compressed and boomy for this one was a good term. The spanish Cedar in theory should sound more "woody" because it's not as dense a wood as the mahogany. Roscoes have a huge, powerful tone. Especially the 5's. Their B string is without question the best that I have heard. All in all, when I get another one, I'm going to go with the larger body style, Spanish Cedar, and Buckeye top.

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Normal Buckeye? or Buckeye burl Like mine? (sorry, another excuse to post pics:( )[​IMG]

11. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    whoa! I am not a huge fan of most buckeye, but I dig that!

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hearing these clips remind me of how crappy I am as a bassist. I suck!!!

13. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Hey Fretless5ver fan,
    Did you get that bass from Adrian! I think that's the one that inspired my idea with going with the Buckeye Burl. If that is yours, what core wood did you go with. Do you have pics of the backside of the bass?

14. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Good call tooth. The core is spanish cedar.[​IMG]

15. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That really looks like an awsome bass! Does the Spanish Cedar have a nice tone? I haven't heard one with the Spanish Cedar, but my complaint with my Mahogany body coupled with the lacquer finish and electronics was that it was way too boomy. Spanish Cedar in theory is not as dense as Mahogany, so my guess would be that the sound wouldn't come out so compressed and would sound more "woody." Is this the case?

16. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    The spanish cedar has an awesome and very versitile tone. It goes from progressive rock, to jazz, to funk, and back. no problem.

That is the case indeed. Very "woody" tone. I've heard many complaints about boominess, no boominess here.

17. Halftooth,
    I just got a Roscoe as well from Adrian -- Spanish Cedar body. According to Keith, the cedar is more lyrical, more "acoustical". He said cedar would also shave about a pound or two off the weight over the mahogany.

It still makes a huge sound, especially the B. "Boominess" may come in part from your EQ on the bass. I rarely run my bass pot past the center detent.

Here's a pic of mine.