Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Fretless 5 - SKB vs. LG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Sep 28, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in the market for a Roscoe fretless 5, but I'm curious as to the difference between the SKB and LG models. Any tone differences? Anyone have recommendations one way or another?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    RunngDog,
    The only difference is the body shape and size (and that the pickups come slanted on the LG, but you can get straight pickups is you like). The LG body is slightly smaller with a little more "carve" to the top, whereas the SKB is more traditional looking in that it's a little more symmetrical. Other than these minor variations, the basses are exactly the same and are priced similarly. ;)

3. Dog,
    Go for the SKB model. It looks cooler. :bassist:

4. +1

My Roscoe LG2005 suffers from a little neck dive. Other that that I like the look and it is comfortable to play. The SKB might be better balanced due to the bigger body.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've owned 2 LG models and 2 SKB models and I can't say that I've noticed any sound differences due to the body style. I will say that I prefer the way the SKB style looks (which is why both Roscoe's I currently own are SKB styles). I never had any neck dive problems with my LG models. I'm sure the wood choices could affect that though. I was pleasantly surprised that my SKB-3006 didn't suffer from neck dive. I was afraid that the extra neck wood might cause some problems in that area.
    I'd go with the model that looks best to you! Also, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend that you go with a Spanish Cedar core, Bart 3-band pre and Diamondwood fingerboard. Awesome sounding fretless bass! :hyper:
    Can I hear an amen Zon4John?

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe not the "Amen" you were looking for, but I'll give it to ya' anyway! :D ;) A-MEN!

7. I like the SKB body style but that's just me. I've had a chance to play both and found a the SKB a little more comfortable for me, the LG just felt a little small.

I can also second the recomendation for the Diamondwood fingerbaord.