Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Guitars (not Roscoe Beck ;)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    In my quest to find a good six string, I came across these. I played one, and I was impressed, so this leaves me to the question: Any of you own them? And if so, what do you think? Also, I'm gonna get a fretless, hopefully.
    Also, do you guys know of any stores that carry them?

Thanks!
    Neal

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I know of 2 stores in the Dallas area that carry them, Zoo Music and Speir Music.

These basses are beautiful, expensive, and have a thunderous B string.

But for a bass in this price range, the workmanship is substandard. High spots on the fretboard, unevenly polished frets, stripped out screwholes in the back plate, less than perfect finish on the back, thought the front of the 3 I've played was outstanding.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    eek. Reminds me of a recent Carl Thompson thread. Fodera, Lakland or Sadowsky for that kind of bucks. Sorry.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had one earlier this year. It was nice but too P bass like for me, didn't give me a slap sound I could use, fingerstyle was fine.

5. embellisher

Geez, Brad, what HAVEN'T you owned?

6. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I've seen used Roscoe 6 strings go for under $1500. I seriously considered buying one with an asking price of $1300, but the owner put it up on Ebay before I got back to him (sold for around 1500, I think). And everyone thinks Alembics have poor resale values!

7. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    I've played three Roscoe basses (never owned one, though). For the price, the fit and finish was WAY substandard. Uneven frets, exposed finish by the neck joint, nut problems, etc. I also know a guy who custom ordered one (a six) and had to send it back several times to remedy problems the nature of which should have caused the bass to never have left the shop in the first place.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A lot more than you probably think:D One of the perks of working in my field is travelling all over the U.S. and sometimes to Europe on the companies dime. While I haven't had an opportunity to check out many non-U.S. basses, I've played almost everything that's available here except for some very small builders, though I have checked out Pulcinellas, Bluebonds, Sukops, Elricks and the like. When my company sends me to NYC, I check out Sadowsky and the Bass Boutique, Rudy's and the other 48th St. shops. I only buy what really grabs me (except for eBay purchases) and keep what I really like. Given that, and my ability to find bargains, the gear I own cost me a small fraction of what it would normally go for (example: $69 Polytone MiniBrute III). I'm what I would consider a semi-gear junky, but unlike some of my brethern, I don't get killed on the resale side. I have aquaintances who buy $3000 basses, get bored with them and trade or sell them at a loss. I'm the guy who buys the $3600 bass for $1500 ;)

I bought the Roscoe off eBay, even those I had read the Bass Player 5 string shootout where it got high marks for sound and playability but low marks for fit and finish. The one I received had excellent fit and finish, it was truly flawless as the original owner stated. It just didn't do it for me tonally and no amount of pretty wood will ever make up for that. I know other people who love them so, once again, it's personal tastes. When the 3 week old Lakland was offered as astraight trade, I figured here was a relatively safe way to both move the Roscoe and check out a Lakland 55-94 Limited for a longer period of time than I could at a store, for relatively little money. As it stands the new Lakland cost me a little less than $1500, which was right at the price of a new Pulcinella. I'm okay with that ;)

9. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    I hate to go against the grain but you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a 5 string that I currently play. The finish is flawless, no high spots on the neck, no stripped out holes, plays and sounds great. Yes, it does have a lot of P-Bass sound but thats what I like. The "B" is awsome.

10. embellisher

Chymel, I am sure your Roscoe is finished great, and I have no issue with the sound of Roscoes, while its not my cup of tea, it sounds like a modern, huge bottomed, hi-fi P bass. If you like a P bass tone, this is a high end bass that goes it one better.

It just gets me on a bass this expensive to have seen 3 examples and they were not as 'fine' as basses costing half the amount.

For that price, it doesn't surprise me that they can turn out some gems, it just gets me that they can't be more consistent. I have yet to see a gem('course, I've only seen 3 total;) ).

I mean, Pedullas high end is around this price, and blows the fit & finish of a Roscoe away.

Laklands aren't much more, and Laklands are on another planet in fit & finish compared to the Roscoes I've seen.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    As much as I hear about Laklands being "parts" basses, mine is positively flawless. Add to that the fact (IMO ;) that it plays and sounds even better than it looks and you have one world class instrument.