Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe guys, I have a price question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoyBase, Mar 30, 2004.

1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    So I found a Roscoe LG 5- string for sale locally with an asking price of $799. I played it and of course, it plays just like a Roscoe should. Its got a couple of dings and a small section of clear about the size of a quarter wear on the back clearcoat. Its not all the way through the finish, but its there.
    Its got a rosewood board and a flame maple top with a kind of dark brown burst and a 1/4 inch or so maple stripe in between the top and back.

Should I snatch this up at this price? I could have sworn I've seen these things sell used for much more :confused:

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    do you have a pic?

Sounds like a great buy!!

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    $799?? Sure that thing's not hot??

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Roscoes seem to go for $1600 to $1800 on ebay...

Sounds lilke a good deal...

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Sorry, no pics..

Its sitting up at a very reputable music store. I could even haggle them a little more on the price to be honest..

The bass is not "mint', but has minimal use..I saw 4 or so dings in it.

I may go buy it just so I can post it back on ebay..

Oh yeah, it also has a volume, blend, and 2 stacked knobs..haven't seen that one before

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    hmmmm, I wonder if its a real old Roscoe or something. Maybe one of his first basses. I've had a few old ones with od preamps and quite different from what people think of today when buying a roscoe....

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hmm..from what I can remember, the SN# on the bass was 3202 or something like that..don't know if that makes a difference.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    hmmm... Roscoe in ATL-area for $799... :ninja:

So umm... Soy, where d'ja see that beaut?

9. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    None of your bees-wax, j-raj!

Actually, if you REALLY want to know, shoot me a PM..

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    man, I was kidding... *checks wallet* you have nothing to worry about, I'm pretty broke.

...But I could be another pair of hands on it checking it out and giving my input... I'll shoot you a PM.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think any way you cut it, its a good buy.

As a good 5 stringer, I think its a good buy.

As one of his very early models, I would think it is a good buy.

12. Sounds like it's an LG-2005, that's what I have. Flat top of figured maple, three knob layout, EMGs. I paid $1k for mine, but it's minty as an altoid, and I've only seen one other one, described as a "player" for $950. The stack preamp may be an aftermarket add-on, mine has a passive tone setup. I emailed Keith about it and he said they make them in the '93-'95 timeframe.

my Roscoe page

I'd snap it up if I were you.

13. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Actually, this one has the slanted bartolinis and the 4 knob setup..i think it was vol/blend/stacked bass/treble/ stacked something else..can't remember what it was..mids maybe?

14. Oh, guess I misread your post. Probably like you say, stack BT, stack mid/freq. (?)

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    If it is still where I think it is... :ninja:

I'll snap some pix for y'all... And play it some. :bassist:
    j

16. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Wonder if the preamp could be an OBP-3, which can be setup with a variable mids sweep (I think).

The other two preamps I can think of with a mids sweep knob are EMG 3-band (probably not since pups are Bart), and a U-Retro Deluxe (but 3 knobs are stacked on that).

If you want it, you better head over and get it before someone beats you there.

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Man! Quit surfing the Web and go buy that bass! If you don't buy it, shoot me an e-mail. I'm 100 miles from Hot 'Lanta. I'd walk the 100 miles to be able to buy a Roscoe at that price!
    And don't worry about what pre is in it. At that price you can put whatever you want in it! :hyper: