Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe In Progress Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    As you can see, it's very early in the making. I picked this top out recently. It will be an SKB 3006 with the core being mahogany, the fingerboard will be Katalox, and the electronics will probably be the full Bart system. I really look forward to getting back into a 6 string and this should be a good one:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks very cool man. Katalox is good. ;)

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Yes...'tis:) Any word on the sale of your Fodera?

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Nope..none yet. I got time. ;)

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, that's going to be killin! Great choices on the wood. If I had been able to choose the woods for my SKB3006 than they'd be different than what I have even though mine is great. I think you've got a winning combo there. Keep us updated.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Peter Parker,
    Congrats on the Roscoe. That is an AMAZING top and it'll look great when it's done!!! Keep us posted with in-progress photos.

7. Zillium

Zillium

May 27, 2003
    Michigan
    That's a nice top. What kind of wood is it?
    Also what color of finish are you going with?

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I believe Keith called the top pink coral maple or something like that. It already has a great natural color that I'm not going to mess with.

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What is Kayalox?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I swear, that's the best quilt/flame ever. It looks so 3D, even on my computer screen, I feel like I could feel it if I ran my finger on the monitor.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Katalox

It's a fairly dense hardwood from Mexico (I believe) and is often used as an alternative to ebony....tops, fingerboards, bridges, etc. I've yet to hear it on a bass, but it is usually a dark, brownish-purple color when finished and can have stripes and other unique figure patterns. Hope that helps. :)

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that maple almost looks like killer Myrtle! Keith will make that look 10 feet deep... with the carvings and the hi gloss finish..look out!! great choice ,man. congrats--A

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Beautiful flame top Peter! Are you going with natural or a tranparent tint? I wouldn't do anything that might mask that beautiful grain! :cool:

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Wow
    thats amazing grain on amazing wood!!

She looks good so far! very good :D

15. Awesome top, Peter. Ditto Brendan's comment. Keith continues to amaze me with his endless supply of beautiful woods. Keep the pix coming.

Randy

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. The finish will be natural. It's been fairly slow in the making. The body was finally cut last week and will hopefully be carved by now. It should reach the spray booth in a couple of weeks. I'll take more pics. I'm quite excited about this bass. I haven't owned a 6 string in awhile so I'm really looking forward to getting this. Keith should have the Demeter pre's in soon so I think I may try one of those first instead of the Bart.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Go with the Demeter! :hyper:

Keith definately takes his time with making instruments. Hang in there man, it's worth it. That'll be one incredible instrument. If it turns out not to be for you, make sure you let me know. ;)

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Beautiful wood!!! I definitely love-um Roscoes!! Keep the pics coming!!

:)

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that top wood deserves a matching headstock!

YUM!

f

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ALL Roscoes get them , Freddy Boy! and man, look at you go with all those Sadowskys!!