Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe is now on order!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I did it. I pulled the trigger. Went thru Jay at Blueberry Hill.

Here are the specs:

LG3000
    Exhibition Quilt Maple top
    Swamp Ash Body
    Bolivian Rosewood fingerboard
    Demeter pre amp

Color...here's the tricky part...I don't know!!! Am thinking either cherryburst, amber, vintage yellow, or natural. Don't want anything too dark as the top piece I've picked out is stunnng. Any input from you Roscoe owners on the color scheme would be appreciated.

Now the fun begins! I get to wait with the rest of you! Hah! No more off the rack for this guy!

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, if you're gonna go with Swamp Ash and Quilt Maple, DEFINATELY go for natural. But then again I have a thing for natural colours ;)

I'd say wait until you see the wood. Then decide based on how it looks natural.

Mark

3. One of my Roscoe LG-3005's has an Ash body with Exhibition grade quilted maple top done in a Cordovan finish. People ALWAYS comment on the top.

The color example on the Roscoe site looks rather black compared to mine. I don't know which is more representative of the typical Cordovan finish.

No matter what you choose you won't be disappointed with the appearance of the bass - not to mention the tone.

4. My other LG-3005 has a One piece Myrtle body with a very unusual, attractive appearance and a clear finish that accentuates the grain - a really beautiful bass. However, personally I think that Keith Roscoe's stained bodies make the appearance of the instrument much more outstanding and eye catching. In the end it's all Subjective, so get what makes you happy.

And again, no matter what it looks like you'll absolutely love the tone.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a photo of a recent custom Century V with a cordovan finish. Also, I've posted the top in question as well. :)

Attached Files:

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the quilt top. Sick!

I have to say that I've never seen two of Keith's basses with the Cordovan look the same color. That color seems to come out differently every time.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am currently trying to decide on a new bass to order as well, and Roscoe is right up at the top of my list. Along with Nordstrand and Ritter, so I have exchanged a few emails with Jay recently also.

So, before too long, I should be joining the "waiting for a new bass" group as well. ;)

8. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area

Isn't it? I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist.

I'm leaning toward cherryburst or natural...of course, that will probably change in an hour or two.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Yep...that tends to happen with a few of the colors. The color of the top can impact the exact shade/hue of the top depending on how "white" or how "yellow" or "brown" the top is. Cobalt blue is a good example. A really yellow piece of maple can make it turn out almost greenish, so we don't use those tops for that color. A really nice, white piece of maple is best for that color. However, colors like antique yellow, red, etc. don't seem to be so dependant on the shade of the maple.

10. Keep that baby natural. That is some gorgeous quilt.

Dave

11. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    For a top that sweet I would leave it au naturale! :)

Shawn

12. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area

I'm more of a "color" guy for my basses...this is going to be a tough decision. The color would have to be one that enhances rather than covers up the quilt. A nice light cherry sunburst is starting to sound like the thing for me.

But I will probably change my mind in about ten minutes...there are some sweet looking natural roscoes with great quilts and they are striking.

13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I love the natural color for most tops, but there is something about the quilted maple that just asks for a beautiful stain. I have an SKB-3005 with a quilted maple top with the cobault blue finish. It's gorgeous, and I get a lot of complements with it. Here are a couple of pics:

I also like Keith's lighter blue that looks like faded jeans. If you are going with an amber stain, make sure it's a light stain. Keith's dark amber can hide the quilted figure a little too much. That would be my only critique about his finishes (and that's just my opinion). Other than that, his finishes are beautiful.

Edit: I'm looking at these pictures again. The bass looks better than that.

Attached Files:

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I think that looks great!

I see you have the demeter pre amp...how do you like it?

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Love that preamp so much I sent my SKB-3006 back to Keith to switch it from the original Bartolini preamp.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So, what sets the Demeter preamp a notch or two above the Bart or the Aguilar OBP-3 that Keith offers??

(sorry to take the thread off topic, but I am curious about this)

17. Congrats on the purchase! Now you only have to wait "two weeks!" ;)

I would also vote for the lighter amber finish. I think it will accentuate the grain AND coordinate well with the rosewood fingerboard.

Also, unless you just LOVE the Bartolini preamp, I would order either the Aguilar or the Demeter. I have a Demeter in my Roscoe and it kills!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The demeter is really clear and versatile.

Nice choices. :)

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    VERY important point to make...the Demeter isn't "better" than the Bartolini or the Aguilar for Roscoes...it's just DIFFERENT. What works very well for one person and meets their tonal needs (and thus, is a "good" preamp) might not be the best choice for the next player. All three preamps are very good and depending on your needs and tastes, one might be a better option than the others. ;)