1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe LG 3005 or US Lakland 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Jul 8, 2016.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Looking at these and would like opinions of just these if you don't mind. Different animals no doubt. LG 3005 w/ roseboard (2008). The Laky has a maple board (1999). Have a US Lakland 4451m which I'm very happy with so I'm brand loyal to an extent. Looking for a modern-ish 5 that leans toward a Jazz rather than a P tone. Have the P tones covered and then some. Don't do metal or heavy. Just about everything else. Thanks for any comments.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had both, and I loved both.... those years were great for both as well. The two best B strings in the industry hands down. Aesthetically the Roscoe runs away with it. But in a real live gigging bass player world I would take the Lakland. That is the Golden Era of 5594's. Not that it should be a deciding factor... but when it comes to resale value, the Lakland is money in the bank. From my experience, it is very difficult to get your money back out of a Roscoe. I am a fickle guy and go through lots of basses, so that matters. The Roscoe is gonna be more modern and the Lakland while still modern is more versatile to a degree. Ironically they are both 35" bolt on necks with Bartolini pickups and pre's usually. Cant go wrong with either.... but from my experience I would grab up a 1999 5594 in a heartbeat.

markob likes this.
  3. mflatau

mflatau

Aug 19, 2008
    I have a 1999 55-94 and it's amazing. The birdseye maple fretboard is stunning. You can do a lot with these basses. They are very versatile in tone (probably why the bassist from String Cheese Incident uses one. They play everything from funk to rock to bluegrass to calypso). I've always gotten compliments from sound guys on my tone with it. Very articulate with a modern edge without being sterile.

Unfortunately I don't have experience owning a Roscoe. I do agree that this is the golden age for the Lakland 55-94. Mine is on my "never sell" list.

markob likes this.
  4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I can't do a real comparison but HEARTILY recommend both basses. I have a USA 55-94D and a SKB-5 Custom fretless - both are amazing, just different kinds of amazing. I would say that my most used fretted 5 is a Ken Lawrence, followed by a 535 but that is just me and I really could be happy with gigging with any of my basses.

Good luck resolving your dilemma!

Dan

markob likes this.
  5. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I own and play a 1997 Lakland 55-94 as my main gigging bass and it is awesome in every way, in my opinion. I don't own a Roscoe, but have played several and every one I've laid hands on has been a great instrument. Very well made and wonderful playing instruments!

markob likes this.
  6. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Thanks for the replies folks. Appreciated.

mflatau likes this.