Roscoe LG for Dingwall A'burner - would you do it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, May 19, 2003.

1. I'm considering moving my Roscoe LG-2005 to fund the purchase of a used Dingwall. Any opinions on the wisdom of such a move (totally subjective I know, but I figured it'd make for interesting discussion)

My Roscoe is here:

Roscoe of Tom's

It's an older model that Mr. Roscoe made in the '92-'94 timeframe, active EMG's, passive control, flat top. Same great playability and quality.
  2. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Mmmmmmmm. The Roscoe is Puuurdy.

I have never played a Dingwall, but I have only heard good things about them. Do you know whether or not you want one as compared to the Roscoe (have you played a Dingwall), or is it just a jones for that cool fanned fretboard?

Personally, I would want to play a Dingwall before I sold such a nice bass. (Unless the Roscoe is just collecting dust somewhere...)

P.S. - If you want to sell the Roscoe for like $10, and buy a new CD or something, PM me!

3. I would play it first. I love Dingwalls, but that is a tough choice as Roscoes are also excellent basses.

I think the comparison is a bit skewed though. Should the Roscoe be $2500+ new, whereas a new Afterburner would be about ~$1700.

I recently played an Afterburner, and I must say, even though I use a Prima, it is a great bass, one that I wouldn't mind picking up.

4. heh heh heh

No it's not quite collecting dust - but I'm only gigging at church once a month. but I'm just a gear head at heart, and yes, I'm probably just jonesing,, lusting, craving the "coolness" factor. I actually got a very nice deal on the Roscoe. I'm thinking it would be not out-of-pocket expense for me to do it. But I'm sure it (the Dingwall) won't sit still for long.

As for playing one, I'm not aware of anywhere in the Twin Cities that carries Dingwall. So that may be a bit of a difficult proposition. Hmmmm.

The Bass Trader
  5. Well....Sounds like a tough choice..if only life were full of choices like this.
    I have 2 Afterburners and love the way they play and feel. Can't comment on the Roscoe but if Geoff thinks the Roscoe costs that much. I'm not sure what kind of a trade that is.
    For the money the Dingwall at ~1700 is a heck of a lot of bass. Its a modern sounding bass and depending on the pickups (Barts or FD-1s) will give you a nice bark, or an aggressive growl.
    IMO you won't go wrong w/ it. However you should really play one first. The fanned frets aren't a problem at all.

Just so happens I'm planning to put the Blonde flame maple afterburner up for sale
  6. Well, first off, the guy tells me he spent $2200 on it and got a deal. (???) If that's true he must have an A'burner 2 or a bunch of upgrades. The Roscoe I bought used around Christmas (Santa's pretty cool!) and even though I got a great deal I wouldn't trade even up.

The kicker is this guy doesn't want to trade, so I'd have to sell it outright and then buy the Afterburner. His price is $1100, maybe he would bend, depends on how much interest he has in it.

Geoff, would you mind loaning me your Prima 6 for a few weeks to see how I like the fanned frets?:D
    by the way that's the most beautiful bass I've ever seen. really. Except for maybe a linc luthier bass.

Frank - you got any pictures of the blonde?;)
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was thinking of buying that Afterburner, a used Quantam 5, or a used Roscoe! The fanned frets kinda intimidate me!
  8. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Hey Frank! Good to see you back on TB! WElcome back.

I answer to the original question... I love dingwalls, I've never played anything that felt better. The even string tention is something that just has to be experienced. Is it worth a straight up trade for the Roscoe? It depends. If you think you cn sell your roscoe for more than $2000, then sell it and buy a new dingwall, or buy Franks. I've played it, and it's incredible. Also Franks knows what he is talking about when it comes to the pickups. I personally wouldn't buy an afterburner without the upgraded pickups. The barts are to polite for my taste.
    Good luck
  9. So Woodchuck and Frank, ya think we could do a three way deal here?Frank you send me your bass for free, Woodchuck you buy my bass for $5000 and everybody's happy right?

So but seriously, if we can work something out I'd consider it. PM me.

10. Well, I don't know.;)

Interestingly, I am going on an exchange next year and I am going to be going to school in Colorado Springs. I may take the Dingwall and there is the possibility of going to a few different cities. Maybe I will be in the neighbourhood that some who are interested can try out the Dingwall.

11. Basstrader-
    the difference between and afterburner I and II is the upgraded woods, and an aggie 2 band preamp. IF the afterburner cost him $2200 then its a Aburner II. A brand new ABurnerI is prolly around ~$1600-1700. To my knowledge there is no upgrades for the AburnerI. I tried. Any idea what the pickups are?
    As Mark mentioned the FD-1 p'ups sound different.
    As for resale value thats a great price for a used Aburner. The cheapest i've seen was when Funky got a steal off of EBAY for $1300 for a AburnerI. So $1100 used is killer.
    Anyway, when i said you should try the Aburner bass first, its not becuz of the fanned frets. While they look imtimidating they aren't, they become second nature w/in 10mins of playing. I was trying to point out whether or not you want a modern sounding bass. I have No clue what a roscoe sounds like, but i can tell you a what a Dingwall sounds like (at least a few of them).

Geoff- man I'm in...if you come to the gulf coast, I'll gladly play your 6 stringer. By then you can play the Ding superJazz.

12. I will see what I can do. I will be somewhat at the whim of your Armed Forces, but we'll see.

13. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I saw my first Dingwall a couple of weeks ago. Very nice bass and I'm sure you would get used to that fanned fretboard. But trade a Roscoe for it?....Nope!