Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe LG2005, made for Canada

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozzel, Dec 3, 2004.

1. There's a sweet looking Roscoe bass I'm currently tracking on eBay. It's unusual in that it has the LG body style, but the EMG pups (not Barts) are straight, not angled. Plus, the body has a hand-rubbed oil finish instead of gloss, and the neck is 35.5" scale. I emailed the seller, and he didn't know the model name. So I called Mr. Keith Roscoe himself and we looked at the auction photos together. He said it's a model he called the LG 2005 that he used to make a number of years ago for his Canadian dealers. According to Mr. Roscoe, it features a thinner body cap of exotic wood than the LG 3005 and there is no matching veneer on the headstock. So although the 2005s were still handmade in the Roscoe USA factory, they were basically a slightly less exotic, lower priced model than the 3005 series.

Question is, have any of you TB'ers had any experience with any basses from this particular series? How did it compare in sound and feel to the 3005s? Thanks for any help.

2. no experience. just asking if you can post a pic. i dig extra long scale basses.

3. The eBay item number is 3766427141. You can see all the pics for yourself. This is the 2nd round for this Roscoe, having received no bids the first time. I'm surprised. The starting bid is quite reasonable, although Keith told me he wouldn't pay "much more" than that. Oh, he also told me this model wasn't given the deluxe treatment as far as a carved top like the 3005s and 3006s. It's flat, except for the slope carved out for the right forearm. Anyway, I'm very interested in bidding on this bass myself, although I probably won't because my payment on a Strat I sold hasn't arrived yet.

By the way, everything I've read here at TB about Keith Roscoe is true. The bass is used, so he will receive nothing if and when it sells. Nevertheless, he was very eager to make sure all my questions got answered. Keith, if you see this, thanks again!

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    to be honest i never like the carved tops on the 3000 series. the angled pics also did nothing for me. this is a REALLY pretty bass though.

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    The carved tops are much nicer than a flat one, it gives a different angle to the grain on the wood and looks much nicer IMO. As far as the slanted pickups go, if you placed and order for a LG or SKB bass, you can request that the pickups be placed straight.

I thought I wouldn't like the angled pickups myself but atfer Keith told me it wouldn't take any time getting use to decided to try one. It was no problem at all and ended up buying another one. Now when I go to play my other basses, I actually miss the angled pickups.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just bought an older six string Roscoe that has a flat top on an SKB body shape. I greatly prefer the flat top. With the carved top your fingers don't make contact with the body when slapping which I don't like. True, the carved top looks great but functionally I don't like it.

As for the angled pickups, I use a ramp between the pickups which wouldn't work with the angled pickups. Otherwise they don't make a difference. Keith will always make an LG shape with non angled pickups though. Actually, he'll make a bass with a flat top still as well. I checked on that before I bought my most recent one.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I saw this bass, it was on sale for $999 CDN ($800 US) in Long & McQuade a couple weeks ago, I'm almost certain it's the same one. I was tempted by it, but didn't make a move in time, pisses me off, cause this guy is just flipping it for a profit.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I guess it's what ever you get use to. Gaining additional space between the bottom of the strings and the bass top is one of the main funtions of the carved top (other than cosmetics). I guess different strokes for different folks! :) I much prefer the carved top. Both cosmetically and functionally. I'm not particuarly fond of wearing off the finish of my bass.