1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe LG3005 or Pedulla MVP5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by studg10, Nov 30, 2002.

1. studg10

studg10

Dec 4, 2001
    I have narrowed it down to these two basses. I just need some input on which one is better i.e. better sound, better playability, better deal. I can get either one for around 1700.

thanks

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Here is my opinion. I have played a Pedulla Pentabuzz. Great fretless. I imagine that the MVP (fretted version of same bass) would also be great. I haven't played any Roscoes.

That aside, I think that playability and sound are going to be subjective. What sounds better to me might not sound better to you. What I think has a really fast, comfortable neck might not to you.

For instance, I play Dingwalls. These basses have a thin, flattish profile. I love this feel. In general, people who like Warwicks prefer a thicker neck, which the warwick has. While the Dingwall is fast to me, the Warwick I played was slow. I bet you would find Warwick fans who would find just the opposite.

Have you played either of these basses? If not, I suggest you do. $1700 is a lot to spend on something if it isn't just right for you.

Geoff

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Roscoe LG3005 or Pedulla MVP5?

I've owned 2 Pedulla's (one 4-string and one 5 string) and they are excellent basses. They sound great and play good. But, IMO they don't play or sound as well as my current Roscoe's. I have a LG-3005 fretted and a SKB-3005 fretless (actually it's to be finished next week) and they are great instruments. I've played a couple of his 6-string SKB fretless basses (with Diamond Wood fingerboard) several times and they sound awesome! My choice would clearly be the Roscoe! With the 3-band pre-amp you can get so many usable sounds and the sound of the "B" string (35" scale) is second to none.:)