Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ROSCOE LG3005 STRING SPACE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Does anyone knows what the string space on a ROSCOE LG3005 is? Is it the same as Sadowsky and Mtd's?

I used to have a Modulus flea that was 2.75” @ the 22 fret and it was not to comfortable to play.

Thanks

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Roscoe's are typicly 18mm at the bridge, and 19mm on a custom order.
    I believe that Modulus is 17mm at the bridge, and not comfortable for me to play either.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Standard is 18mm, but 19mm is easy to do on a custom order...we just swap out the bridge to accomodate the slightly wider spacing. ;)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Close on both counts:

The "official" spacing our our 5 string is 18.15mm, and there is a WEE BIT more to wider spacing on our bass: The bridge needs to be wider, that means the neck needs to be wider, that means the neck pocket needs to be wider.

That's why when you order a 19mm spacing 5 or 6, there is an additional charge - extra labor!

:)

Simon, I don't know the exact spacing at the 22nd, but at the 24th, our 5 string neck is 2 55/64" or 72.5mm.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL

:rolleyes: :rollno:

Here I am trying to keep things simple and you bust out with the ole 18mm vs. 18.15mm routine?!?! :scowl: Do you realize the can of worms you've just now opened up. The "I like 18mm spacing" crowd will now be forced to go up against the "I only like 18.15mm, and those who like 18mm spacing are fools" crowd, and we could see some long-standing friendships shattered here on the boards...thanks to YOU!

:p :D

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Well, y'know, I gotta keep my position clear, y'see....

....all's I got is that I work here now, my only claim to :cool: any longer...

:bawl:

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Forget about the 18mm vs. 18.15mm. What about the custom strap holder placement vs. the standard placement. I mean that 0.05 mm difference prevents all the stress on my shoulder and back, not to mention the custom "R" placement at the headstock. When it's 2 degrees off center counterclockwise the feel of the bass is just magical.:rolleyes:

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yes, but the REAL trick is getting it 2 degrees off center, counterclockwise, making sure to not only get it off center on the face of the headstock, but also getting it off center the 2 degrees in relation to the FACE of the headstock!

:hyper:

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Bassmanbob..........

R you crazy or what?!:p

By the way......what does the "R" stand for?

GARD?

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm assuming that you are kidding. In case you aren't, if you look at your Roscoes' head stocks, you will see a capital R for... um, I'm not sure... but could it be Roscoe???!!!

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I own an LG-3005, and have owned both a Modulus Q5 and a Modulus Flea. I can honestly tell you the playability between these basses (LG & Flea) are quite different. To me, the LG is WAY more comfortable, even though it is 35" scale. Actually, in that regard, I find the LG even more playable than my MTD. That being said, the Flea didn't stick around in my arsenal for very long. I just can't dig that tight string spacing that Modulus uses.

Can I tell a difference between the 18.15mm of Roscoe basses and the 19mm of MTD, yes. Is it significant, not really. I play cleaner/faster fingerstyle on the Roscoe, and slap a little better on the MTD. But, give me 5 minutes to warm up, and I can do everything on the Roscoe that I can do on the MTD.... and I dig the Roscoe slap tone :)