Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe LG3005 string spacing at the bridge??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capalito, Jun 19, 2004.

1. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    I love everything about my LG3005 except that I found it a little too narrow at the bridge. Does anyone know if the hipshot bridge in my Roscoe allows to adjust the string spacing and make it wider? I tried to do it but I dont think that you can move the string from its original position. help please

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Loosen the allen screw that locks the saddle cylinder in place and slide it over to the desired positon. Then lock it down by tightening back down the allen screw. You also may have to grind a small amount off of one end of the saddle cylinder to allow it to go as far as required. I adjusted my G-D-A so that it .75 between them. Much better for slap/pop style playing.

3. I think Hipshot makes different versions of the A style bridge that are optimized for wider/narrower spacing. I know they make a .75 spacing bridge and at least one with a smaller adjustable spacing.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    18mm standard on a Roscoe. 19 mm on an F bass. Both bridges made by Hipshot Products. The thing to do, is to call Jason at Hipshot and tell him exactly what you want. "I want a 19mm bridge with the same mounting holes as a Roscoe". Whatever it is, he can make it for you. For a really nutty custom job, he might charge you a hundred bucks for the initial tool-up (that's the couple of hours it takes him to program the CNC machine), but after that it's pretty much the same as an off-the-shelf unit.

Really, bridges shouldn't be a problem. My first shot would be Jason and Hipshot. Then, I'd try the adjustment thing, but I haven't had very much luck with that. Frankly, I've run into a lot of saddles that've had some considerable binding in those side-to-side adjustments, to the point where I've come to consider those adjustments as basically useless (unless they happen over very tiny distances, and also it helps to have special tools to get into the saddle and push the pin over to where it's supposed to go).

These days, my guess is that just about every bridge manufacturer is using CNC, and therefore it would be a truly trivial matter to reposition the mounting holes for the bridge. They should be able to make any bridge with any mounting configuration, as per your order. Jason's already done this for me several times, for instance I regularly replace the fretted Roscoe bridge with the Hipshot "B" equivalent, which Jason has to custom-mill to get the mounting holes in the right positions. No sweat, he can turn those around in three to five days. Whatever it is, IMO it's worth the wait. The bridge can be a really critical part of a bass. It's no fun playing with a messed up bridge. ("Where's that confounded bridge?") :D

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You are correct but a Roscoe neck width will not accommidate a bridge with .75 spacing between every string. Also, the version Hipshot makes for Keith has a unique staggered height for each saddle to match the radius of his necks.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    True, I was just about to say this as well, as I've spoken to Hipshot about Roscoe hardware (long story).

The bottom line is, since his bridges are totally custom, they'd have to make a one-off custom to get you the appropriate staggering with the wider spacing, which may be very expensive.

However, even if you're mister money bags and didn't care about the cash, JOME77 is right about the width of the neck. The B might be ok, but I'd bet you'd be pullin' the G string over the edge a lot and get pretty frustrated with it.

7. Yeah those necks are a little slim for a five. I haven't played a five in over ten years, mainly because I couldn't afford one with a .75 spacing. Well that's the way I look at it anyway as it seems every five with a four spacing costs more than my wallet can hold. :meh: