Roscoe on think its another scam

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toasted, May 27, 2004.

1. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    dont know what to do. This bass ships from indonesia.

this is pretty much a grade A candidate for an "is it a scam" discussion. So lets go.

Whats the form with this, i cant see a link to notify ebay, and presumbaly i'd need some sort of proof before i could. :meh:
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    An after thought, i wonder how many leaves shaped like thos in the photo's they get in indonesia at this time of year :p
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm not so sure it's a scam. I wouldn't buy it - zero feedback, international shipping, just usual things I'm wary of.

However -- it has a very detailed description (was the description pulled from somewhere else? the auction info sounds like it was written by the same person). The pictures may have been taken by Roscoe, or by the owner when he was in the UK (it sounds like he's a UK native who happens to be in Indonesia right now).

The fact that it is a private auction is one strike against, though.

There can't be too many MIDI-fied Roscoes like this out there - it shouldn't be too hard to track down whether or not this one is really in Indonesia.
  4. never buy anything from indonesia over ebay (sorry if anyone lives there) but it is a scam most of the time. and last I heard they don't have that type of maple tree over there.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    This exact bass has been offered up on ebay before, but I don't remeber it being from Indonesia. I'm leary of any overseas transactions, but the kicker for me is that it's a private auction, and that the identities of the high bidders is kept secret. If it was me, I'd stay away from it.
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    AND - payment by wire only :roll:
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    You are right - it was offered on ebay before. If I'm not mistaken, a fellow TB'er managed to prove that it was a scam and got ebay to remove it from the listings.
    Too many bright flashing red lights in this auction - definitely not safe. Just to list them out...
    1) He's located in Indonesia, not the UK
    2) He's asking for pounds (which is far more favourable in terms of exchange rate than US dollars to the indon rupiah)
    3) His terms of payment are for a wire transfer - if something goes wrong, there's no way for you to retrieve the money. No buyer protection there
    4) It's a private auction - you have no idea who's marking up the price
    5) He's got 0 feedback
    6) The pictures were ripped from somewhere else - there aren't any maple trees in Indonesia

I can bet that if you ask for the location to wire the money to, it'll be some bank in indonesia, not the UK. If that's the case, then it's a definite no no - You'll never see it again.