Roscoe on the way!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Well, I finally scrounged up enough dough to buy a decent bass, and was looking pretty seriously at MPG and Spector Czeck models, along with a Devon at BassNW. The Devon got sold, the MPG on ebay went over my limit, and then this Roscoe (not roscoe beck, but Keith Roscoe) shows up in the classifieds for about the sameprice! So I jumped on it. The thing is it's got this weird 3 knob preamp, with blend volume and bass/treble boost on one knob (not stacked). Has anyone ever seen this kind of deal before? Anyway here's a shot. Should be arriving Thurs. so I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to try it out. Cool!

Stay Low,

2. I haven't seen a knob configuration quite like that yet, but nice score! Keith's basses rock! This one is on hold for me:

This one is still available:
  3. aguilar 2 band preamp maybe?
  4. all the other Roscoes I've seen have a 4 knob configuration when Aguilar preamps have been mentioned. Like I said this one only has one knob for bass and treble, not a stacked affair like you normally see.
  5. i've never tried or seen an aguilar equipped roscoe, my statement was just a thought.
  6. The second one I posted above has an Aguilar 3-band preamp, and, of course, it also has a 4 knob configuration.

Are you saying if you decide to turn up the bass, then you'll automatically be turning up the treble as well?
  7. The guy I bought it from said if you turn it one way you get a bass boost, the other way gives you a treble boost. Pretty weird, but he said it sounded good. I guess I can always replace it if it doesn't suit me.
  8. :confused: That is odd! I'm sure it still sounds great, though! You'll have a problem when you want to boost both bass and treble...:confused:
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah but what kinda nut would wanna do that?!?! :p

I honestly think the guy is mistaken. That sounds very silly.

brad cook
  10. I've seen that posted before. Highly figured maple top, EMG pickups (very unusual) and probably the stock electronics - don't know though.

Let us know how it sounds since you don't have the "Roscoe Recipe" (Bart soapbars and electronics).
  11. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont know why but 4 string Roscoes have always looked weird to me.
  12. ...and I thought it was just me. I agree. I would also want more than just 3 neck bolts on the back.
  13. They look much better in person IMHO. The neck stability didn't seem like an issue when I was playing it. It's a VERY solid and great sounding bass!
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    That Roscoe is Hot.. Man I wish I could afford to buy a bass... even though I don't really reaquire another one.. I am having some serious G.A.S pains

Oh and congrats on the new axe.. I hate you[​IMG]
  15. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Here's a pic of my Fretless SKB3006. I also have a fretted (see avatar). IMO the LG body style is a bit squirrely. I much prefer the SKB body style. They sit better, but I the LG is lighter. That PU/knobs, etc. configuration looks like one of his earlier basses; early to mid-90's. I am sure Keith would be more than happy to let you know what you got there. Give him a call.
  16. Zon4John,

Your fretless is way cool. I love the fingerboard, what is the wood?

I agree with 2 other things - the SKB's are nicer looking IMHO, but when you buy used, the choice is limited. And, 4 string Roscoe's seem a bit well, skinny I guess. We just got used to all of those 6 and 7 string monsters he builds.

I will be in touch with Keith when I get the bass. I'll send him the serial number and see if he can tell me anything about it. Also, from the other pictures I have the top doesn't look like it has the amount of carving that the newer ones do. Still, I'm looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow! I just hope the guy from UPS knows not to leave it on the front porch. Up here in Mpls. the high temp is supposed to be 3 degreeeeees! Brrr.

I'll let you know more about it when I get to play it.

Stay Low!
  17. Thanks Trader. The fingerboard is diamondwood. It's birch that is injected with phenolic resins then it's super heated and pressed. I prefer it because it is completely stable and it sounds and feels great. I'm totally happy with my Roscoe fretless. I'm thinking about getting another (glutten that I am!)

Keith states on his website that if you can tell him what dealer you got it from, it's easier for him to trace it. Apparently he does not catalogue by serial number, but retailer sold to.
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Zon4Jon, don't forget, a fretless SKB 5 is my dreambass, I'm hoping you have to sell yours to get another!
  19. I don't know, man. I may sell my car first before I sell my new Roscoe!