Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe or Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruuv247, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Roscoe LG3005

25 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Modulus Q5

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Have had a Roscoe LG3005 for around 4 years now and I do love it. But lately I've been wanting a new feel and tone (a new toy)(not that theres anything wrong with my old). Am thinking about a Q5. I need a little input.:)

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Whatcha wanna know about the Q5's??

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just sold a Roscoe SKB 3006 and bought a Modulus Q6. The main reason that I did it was not because of the tone but because of the wide neck on the Roscoe. I've been playing a lot of 5 string lately and find I'm not as comfortable as I used to be on wide necked basses.

I think that the Roscoe basses are fine instruments and sound great. I also like the Modulus basses a lot when they have Bartolini PUs and electronics.

Your best bet is to A/B the basses. Not always possible, but always best.

Chuck

4. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'm a big Modulus fan. I have a Q5 and used to have a VJ. I want another one too. Great basses. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to try and help. I do prefer the Bart pups and electronics over the EMG's. I have the NTMB preamp and it is terriffic.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own three Roscoes and two Modulus Quantums (although I'm selling the Bart Mod). I prefer them for different reasons. The Modulus (at least the one with EMG's) has great upper register snap and clarity. The Roscoes have excellent warmth and lower register heft. All my basses are sixers except for one Roscoe 7. I like the necks on the Quantums better than the Roscoes (SKBs exclusively for me) but there are times when I want the Roscoe sound. My fretless is also a Roscoe and it's a serious tone machine. I'd probably keep the EMG-equipped Modulus Quantum 6 (composite board) if I could only have one bass. No, it's not "sterile," at least not with superior amplification.

6. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    The only thing I really know about thr Q5 is buy reputation. I do like the fact that the Grphite necks aren't prone to flexing in different weather conditions.(Roscoe can be bad about that).

Jughaid: I have the same Bart electronics (18V) in my Roscoe and love that tone. But what don't you like about the 18V EMG's. It seems alot Pro's are using the EMG's (Mike Gordon, Dave Schools) In their Modulus.:confused: I have personnaly never been able to try them.

Have been thinking about just going with 9V electronics ( heard there much more forgiving)

7. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    It's not that I dislike the EMG's at all, I just prefer the tonal variety and overall sound of the Barts with the NTMB. I tried a 9V and the only difference to me and the 18V is more headroom.

The EMG's are nice but a bit different sound than the Barts, to me it was not a better or worse issue, just personal preference.

8. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    This is the one I'm kindof looking at. Do you think the dealer would switch out that preamp for some barts?:confused:

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That would be just plain WRONG!!! :p

Serioulsy, unless you've played Barts and EMG's enough with their respective pre's to know FOR SURE what you want, don't even think about modifying a fine Q with EMG's.

10. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    I agree but I have no way ofm test griving those EMG's,And I would hate to spend all that money and Be disapointed.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    disclaimer-- what im about to write is only my personal opinion and nothing else-

to me, this decision is easy.- Roscoe all the way - HUGE lo b, WOOD sound. wider string spacing ( one man's gold is another's S**^.) i like the wide spacing- cant stand to fumble between narrow string spacing.
    now, i dont mean to discredit Modulus, in fact, i think im still on the players list, but for me, i have to have that wood -
    i have also found that although im a bartolini lover, in teh case of Modulus, i have always preferred the emg's-
    by the way, boogie- im very glad the Q6 has become your favorite! cool deal.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeh, it's funny how that works out--the stumbling onto "the one," so to speak. It's really different for every player. You, sir, will always be regarded positively by yours truly for making me such a righteous deal on my "one." :D

13. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    :confused: Are the string spacings on the Q5 that narrow? OK I'm starting to get nervous.

14. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Do you think I would be uncomfortable going from a Roscoe to a Q5:confused:

15. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I did this exact A/B a few years ago when I was up at BassNW. I spent hours going between the two. The lows of the Roscoe 5 were incredible, and the playablility and overall tone of the Q5 was amazing.

In the end I bought an Elrick GS5. A better bass than both the Roscoe and Q5 combined.

16. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    You can order a Q5 with a wider neck. I've checked the specs on Modulus's website - It's basically a six string neck with 5 strings - 22.5 mm at 24 fret. Normal 5 string (modulus) are 17 mm. While the spacing on 4 strings are 19 mm.

I believe the wider neck is an extra $200 option.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...my guess exactly. I found the Q5 a bit more sterile than the Elrick, but a great bass. I have yet to spend enough time with a Roscoe, but I would imagine it to be closer to the Elrick.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd prefer an MTD over a Modulus, but that's just me. i'm a huge Roscoe fan myself, but my Elrick neckthru is pure sweetness.

19. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I vote Roscoe. I've only had mine for a short while and absolutely love it. I did check out a Modulus Q5 once before but thought it was too sterile feeling and sounding but that's just my opinion YMMV!

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I voted for Roscoe. I've played about 5 different Roscoes and dozens of Moduli, equipped with Barts and EMG's. In fact, I owned one with EMG's for about 1-1/2 years.

To sum it up, like Adrian said, I prefer WOOD for sound.