Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe owners-modify your bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emjazz, Jan 17, 2004.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just had a Demeter preamp put into my Roscoe SKB-3006 and the bass just came alive! I had the Bartolini 3 band with this bass and I feel that it just squashed the sound. It's just too compressed for the bass. The Aguilar wasn't an option for me because it's too noisy. The Demeter is incredible. It sounds open and clear and it made the bass more dynamic. I'm very impressed with this preamp in my Roscoe so I just wanted to share and suggest it to other Roscoe owners. I'll post a pic and a sound clip very soon. The bass did need another hole for the eq but it turned out looking great.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yeah, not too crazy about the Bart pre in the Roscoe either. It sounds a little too thick at times for me, and the midrange points don't do much for me either. The only way that I have found to counteract the preamp problems was to use really light guage strings which helped thin the sound down a bit. I'd love to try another preamp, maybe an Aggie at some point.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Halftooth, you wouldn't believe what it sounds like with the Demeter pre. I just came back from playing some tunes with a friend and I just kept listening to my bass and how much I loved the sound. Just to give you a reference I'm running the Roscoe through an Ashdown pre to a Crest poweramp and to Bergantino 112's. I have a theater gig tonight and I can't wait to play my bass!

Again, I'll put up sound clips soon. I'm hoping to get over to a friend's place tomorrow evening to record a couple of small clips.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I had the Aguilar OBP-1 (2-way) Pre in my Roscoe and it was not noisy at all. But I admit, I missed the lack of a midrange control. I never felt like I could dial in enough mids while I had the boom and punch of the low end. I've heard that the Aguilar OBP-3 (3-way) was not really quite as good or versatile sounding as the Bart 3-way. So your choice to try the Demeter is VERY interesting. Can't wait to hear sound clips. Which body wood does your Roscoe have? Swamp Ash. Spanish Cedar, Mahogany, Burl Myrtle? What is your fingerboard? spalt Purple heart? Thanks! Can't wait to hear your clips. I play through an Ashdown ABM500 EVO Head through a Bergie HT322. Quite the Sonic nirvana. Would LOVE to try those little Bergie 112's in a pair!

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    emjazz: How did the preamp change affect the sound of the bridge pickup? I have both a fretted and fretless Roscoe, and I've always felt that either the bridge pickup was a little too hot, or the voicing of the preamp made the bridge pickup sound that way. To my ears, there is a very sugnificant change in tone as soon as you move the pickup selector knob from the center detent towards the bridge pickup, especially on my fretless. I recently sent an email to Keith Roscoe asking if it wsa possible to reduce this effect by changing the bridge pickup.

6. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I love my bart preamp in my roscoe. I can always dial in what I need with it. Nice and smooth in the lows and punchy in its mids.

7. I agree, but this thread definitely has my interest! I'll be watching for the clips too.

::emjazz::
    What was your cost involved in this modification?

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep ditto here. I'm all ears. :)

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi all! I'm going to record the sound clips tonight for sure and I'll try to post them as well tonight.

The cost.....You should check out www.bestbassgear.com. I am in no way affiliated with this company business wise but my friend Brian Ristola owns it and is the one who modified my bass with the Demeter. He sells the preamps. He has them in stock right now with a two way mid switch as well. Pretty cool option. Oh yeah, he's making some great basses as well!

Anyway, I think that y'all will be very impressed with the sound with the preamp. Brian and I were both shocked at how different the bass sounded whith the Demeter.

jdombrow: We couldn't believe how more musical and usefull the pickups sound now, especially the back pickup. I didn't really care for the bridge pickup before but now it can be used on it's own. I'll be sure to make clips with the pickups mixed and on their own.

I didn't like the eq choices on the Bartolini as well. I didn't think that they added to the original sound of the bass. They sounded too unnatural to me when you'd boost the eq. The Demeter seems to add to the original signal in a very complemetary way. Great match for this bass.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah, here's a picture of my bass before the mod. It now has 5 knobs. I'll take a picture later of the Roscoe with the mod. My bass is an SKB-3006 with a one piece figured myrtlewood body and a spalted purpleheart fingerboard. I'm going to Jack Read's tomorrow to get a purpleheart ramp put between the pickups and I'm thinking of putting purpleheart knobs on it from THG. That would make it extra classy!

[​IMG]

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    intersting about the demeter- i like the bart pre- had one Roscoe with the agiie 3 band here at the shop- didnt really care for it, though..

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, the sound clips aren't getting recorded untill tomorrow evening now. I'll be sure to post as soon as I have them.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry all, I got ditched for a girl two days in a row now which means no clips.:rolleyes: I wish I had what I needed to make sound samples. I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as I have some clips to hear.

14. But I do. I love that bass.:D It's green, it's got the ebony fingerboard, and it flippin rocks!!! But, for everything besides the metal gig, I prefer the bass with the bart. I'm starting to wonder about the demeter tho!!

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i loved your BASS, bro!!- but honestly thought the bart was more my taste- but you knew that already! i told you!- 'Hey, im about to take the Harley plunge!

16. Yep, we discussed it. I was just letting you know I still love it. For why I got the bass, I love everything about it. Good for you on the Harley. I expect pics!!!!

And I am impatiently waiting for soundclips of the demeter in the Roscoe. It sounds like something I may be interested in for my non green baby!!

Anyway, thanks again Bro' it's always been my pleasure to give you my money!!

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    LOL!!! i am intrigued by the demeter as well- maybe ill order one with a demeter to see- i iwll keep you posted-and i always appreciate you and your business!

18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    emjazz, lemme see if I got this right. You used the existing Bart pickups with the Demeter pre?

Did you wire it up yourself? And drill the extra hole?

Is there anything I need to know if I'm going to try doing this?

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had my friend Brian Ristola do it. He makes his own basses and has an online store: www.bestbassgear.com.

The cool thing is that the Demeter comes prewired. All you have to do is connect the pickup leads and the battery. There are wires coming out of the Demeter that you just solder these to.

As for making the extra hole, always start with a small hole for the center and work your way up to the correct size bit. This will give you a cleaner look. I would suggest a professional do it if you're not comfortable.

And yes, I did use the Bartolini pickups that were in the bass already. Those are really a big part of the sound of a Roscoe.

I'm also going to have a switch put in the bass so I can switch to single coil mode if I need.

20. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wouldn't it be possible to add a stack knob arrangement to the Demeter preamp so you wouldn't need to drill a hole for the extra knob? It would help preserve resale value.

Also, how is the ramp held in place? It looks like a friction fit.

JD