Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Players, Like the Slap Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 29, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey Roscoe-ites,

I own and gig with three Roscoes, an SKB3006 fretted, SKB3006 fretless and SKB3007. I like the low-end tone very much but have, up until now, prefered my Ken Smith and Modulus Q for slap tone. Have you guys found a satisfactory slap tone by soloing the bridge pup or other EQ means? If so, tell me 'bout it!

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Boogie,
    I've always thought that the slap sound on the Roscoe was better with the the blend control at the center detent (both P/U's). Up until a couple of weeks ago the best slap sound I have found was running the "Aural Enhancer" control on my SWR SM-400S at about 3-4 O'clock. That really seemed to bring out some nice harmonics and make the pops sizzle! Without a doubt though, when I got the Alembic F1-X a couple of weeks ago, I was just knocked out by the Roscoe slap sound with the "Deep" sw up on the F1-X and the Blend ctrl at center detent! The Roscoes IMO have a great deal of mids and need some additional EQ to get an awesome slap tone. Boost highs and lows and cut mids. The F1-X really gets it done! On the other hand, the Demeter HBP-1 sounds better with "in the pocket" traditional finger and pick style playing.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting observations. I'm thinking of switching from the nickel to ss strings on mine, too, for a little more upper-end snap.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man, those are a couple of sweet looking basses, James!

Anyway, I usually roll back to the bridge p/u a bit on my Smith BSR6 GN and boost bass but I generally don't cut mids. On my Modulus Q6, seems like any setting sounds good for slap! But again, I tend to favor the bridge p/u but I usually leave the Modulus totally flat.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Boogie- im diggin the Roscoe big time- but the slap sound is not the standard one most of us are used to- i find that rolling off the midrange helps- boosting his and los- still- its that Roscoe slap- but the bass plays so well and has so much tone that i work around it- i will get a J azz bass style bass for thet fendery sound- but today i got a chance to play my Fbass and compared it to a fender FMT side by side- then i pulled out the roscoe and though it wasnt fendery- it totally reminded me why this one isnt going anywhere- here's me making the ugly funk face on a gig with Chaka Khan drummer Franklin Vanderbilt last week
    [​IMG]

6. I want a Roscoe...:(

Roscoes are sweet!:) Adrian, again, nice bass!

7. Another aspect is the body woods - i.e. mahogany vs the Spanish Cedar. Does that make a difference in the slap sound?

Now keep in mind I have a Roscoe fretless so the slap sound is not what I pursue on this bass, but to me, Roscoes have a woody tone, fretted or fretless, slap or fingerstyle. Adrian is right - it probably won't sound like a Fender, but the lo end is SO huge, you could really have fun rocking the house with it.

Copying Marcus' sound may be a frustrating undertaking on a Roscoe, but you could come up with your own "slap sound" since all the building blocks are there (35" scale, punchy, HUGE bottom end, etc)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had an LG-3005 and the same things that made it sound great for fingerstyle turned me off as far as slapping. Set flat it was way too thick. Nothing wrong with the bass, it just wasn't for me. I traded it for a Lakland 55-94 which was a slap monster.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Adrian, you dawg! That's a sweet sixer, bro. Don't blame ya for hangin' onto it.:cool:

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I've kinda found the same thing true for mine, Brad. I'm just wondering if there's not a way to maximize settings/strings for better slap bite. I dig the Roscoes way too much to unload 'em and slap makes up a reasonably small percentage of my set time, anyway (maybe 10% or so). But I want it ALL!!! :D

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thanks bro!! she looks amazing- too bad i had that music stand in the way, but i didnt know the music and needed to read it-- plus it looks real pro, too!!!:rolleyes: ;)

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Word. You goin' to NAMM, btw? I'll be there the 16th. Lemme know, eh?

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah buddy!! ill bet ther God willing- i have to find a pass for a friend thats coming with me- i attended last 2 years with a drummer friend- thats doesnt work because he wants to spend all day looking at drums-- i am bringing a bass junkie friend- so we can stay focused!!:D
    my cell is 702 205 5727- call me!!- peace, Adrian

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I talked to Keith about it and he thought a preamp change from the three band Bart to a two band Aguilar might help. Since I've never had a problem slapping on any other Bart equipped bass I decided not to spend time experimenting and traded the bass instead.

15. What would you Roscoe owners think of a bass like this?

LG3000 4-string
    Spanish Cedar body with Flamed Maple Top
    Amber or Cherry Burst finish
    Spalted Purpleheart fingerboard
    Recessed Dunlop Straplocks
    3-band preamp upgrade

I play 100% fingerstyle with very little slap (or pop) in a danceable modern rock band. Is there anything you'd change? Keith seems to think I have chosen my options well.:)

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    all that looks great except the recessed dunlops- i used to love that idea, but if for ANY reason- you dont have a working straplock system with you- guess what? youll be playing sitting down- you cant use a standard strap with that-
    as far as the slap issue- i am so finicky- i will be the first to acknowledge that- i have made another decision- i am going to move the buckeye F bass 5 and go for this one- i am again diggin on the sixes- the spacing on these llow me to play more comfortably- and i know this 6 will give me a great slap sound- even though i couldnt get the maple board- i checked out an abony board F bass i have herenow and i got a great slap tone.. this one will be here in about a week-
    anyone want a one of a kind buckeye F bass?
    imagine chrome hardware...
    [​IMG]

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sounds like a very nice bass.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You got it, dude. My cell is 760-212-2755. We'll be talkin'!

19. Thanks for your advice Adrian, but I'll likely have all my basses fitted with Dunlop straplocks soon, and if I'm ever stupid enough to forget my strap for the straplocks then I deserve to play sitting down.;) :D

Nice 6er!!!

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. Keith told me the same thing. But I ain't givin' up my 3-band because I dig it a LOT. If I was in a funk band and slappin' 80%+ of the time, it would be a different story. But in my classic rock trio, I'd just rather deal with it or bring my Smith and/or Modulus for big time slap-o-rama!