Roscoe Players Notice a Difference?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by grooveguru, May 14, 2003.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Have any of you changed from the stock D'Addario nickwounds to stainless and noticed a big change in your tone?
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't know that I noticed a BIG change in tone, but I am using DR Lowriders and find them to be a bit fuller sounding with a softer high end. I also like them for their stiffness.

Most strings will change the tone of your bass somewhat.

3. i changed from the D'Addario's on one of my roscoes to the DR Lowrider stainless strings. the roscoe was already very snappy sounding with its heavy swamp ash body, but, now its even snappier. :oops:
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I tried a couple different sets of SS but the difference wasn't significantly better. Certainly not worth the premature fret wear caused by SS strings.:eek:
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, yes and I've talked to Keith about it. I switched to Ken Smith Tapercore steels on my SKB3007 and found that it significantly improved the slap tone without adversely affecting the famous Roscoe low-end. I've also switched to steels on my SKB3006 fretted but I use Elixirs on my SKB3006 fretless.
  6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

jdombrow and cephas45: One of you said that the lowriders made the sound fuller and one said snappier. Which is it? If it's fuller, is it too full for the E and B strings and if it's snappier, is it too snappy for the G and C strings? I'm very confused.

I'm looking for about the same sound in the lower strings but a more rounded or fuller sound from the G and C strings. Suggestions???
  7. that's a good question. the bass i'm talking about has a fairly heavy swamp ash body with a burl redwood top. it sounds kind of snappy even with old daddario XL's on it. when i put the stainless steel lo rider's on, i couldn't help but notice the zingy highs. its what i would call, snappy. :) to me, the XL's have a rounder, clearer midrange, which is why i always go back to them.
  8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I ended up putting Smith Tapor Cores on mine after a horrible experience with Elixirs. he Smiths sounded the best in my opinion. I also had DR's on their for a bit too, and those were as good sounding as the Smith's, but the Smith's overall feel the best to me.
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm all about the feel, if it feels right, I can live with the tone as long as it's not lifeless or dull sounding. I primarily play fretless and lately I found I hated playing fretted basses, even for 1 song or set. I recently traded for a fretted Modulus Genesis that has light strings on it and it feels incredible. I had some unused TI Jazz rounds hanging around and put them on my fretted Sadowsky and found the feel greatly improved (the tone's pretty good too). I'm not sure what to put on my fretted Rosoce, I'm not a fan of tapered strings, and want a nice flexible feel. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from the TI's which are a little pricey?
  10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Have you tried DR Fat Beams? They really have a nice light feel to them. I was told it's because of the round core that they have instead of the hex core or whatever is on the other ones. I have a set on one of my basses right now and I'm totally sold on them. They have a nice bright, alive sound to them as well.
  11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Thanks Halftooth, I'll check into the Fatbeams. IME, DRs are rather pricey as well. I'm already looking at $55 for some black Pyramids for the Fbass fretless. Oh well might as well bite the bullet...