Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe quality, your impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jvbjr, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I have located a Roscoe 6 string fretless and wanted to hear your thoughts on Keith's quality. We all read that 1997 5 string shootout where the magazine said some bad things, but Keith assures me that is all old news and that his current basses are top notch. I just want to see if Keith's statements jive with your ownership experiences. Thanx.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a Roscoe fretted 5. The quality is some of the best work on the 30+ basses I've owned over the years - definitely the best work I've seen on a 'production' bass. The finish work is excellent, and the set-up is superb. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about this bass. The neck is one of the easiest playing of any bass I've ever played.

That said, if someone was to wish to exchange me a 55-94 Deluxe for it, I think I'd make the deal work. I have several custom basses that cover the Roscoe tone and ballsy B, but none currently with the Lakland tone. It'd definitely be a step down in construction quality going from Roscoe to Lakland IMO.

R

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Overall, I'd rate it good. I've owned 3 and, despite the odd cosmetic flaw here and there, they were well-made.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I had a stellar Roscoe LG3005. But ultimately, I sold it and am happier with the tone I get from my F Basses. At the time I couldn't afford to keep both. But I would not hesitate to own another Roscoe bass. They are one of the best values in that price range in my opinion.

5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    i currently use an SKB3007 as my only bass. I have had no problems with it. I find that the construction is top notch and have found no flaws that can be traced back to the shop (I got it used so there were a couple scratches on the back). I say go for it.

B Easy
    Myron

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The older Roscoes definately had problems but the newer ones you wouldn't have to worry about.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just purchased two Roscoe SKB3006 basses, one fretted and one fretless. I worked directly, in person, with Keith on the wood selection and construction. I have never, in my 19 years of playing bass guitar, ever had better built, higher quality or better sounding instruments. Period.
    They are simply jaw-dropping fantastic. The fit, finish, construction, set up, customer service...simply the best.
    You can read about my personal experiences in the threads that I've put up here.
    Just my two cents, but I am one seriously satisfied Roscoe owner!

8. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I bought my SKB 3005 about 4 years ago and there are no construction issues with it at all. All the frets are parallel, it has one tuning key for each string, enough space on the bridge for each string, the knobs all do something. Very nice bass. :hyper:

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've owned 2 LG-3005s, both fretted and I loved both of them. I sold them because the 35" scale was killer on my left hand. They were both perfect as far as I was concerned and Keith is a dream to work with. Someday I may order another one with a 34" neck and that will be that.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned four Roscoes and have yet to have one issue with them whatsoever. I had the same concerns at first, but rest assured, there aren't any flaws.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Basses without enough tuning keys for the strings that they come with kinda suck. :D

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I love my Roscoe so much that I ordered another one. I have a SKB-3006 fretted and love it. I just ordered a SKB-3005 fretless.

Keith's basses are one of the best values in the high end bass world. For $2,000- $2,500, it would be difficult to get a better bass new. The only basses that have a similar Roscoe value are Elricks and Zons. I've played a lot of Roscoes at Bass Central over the last four years and could have easily bought any one of them. They were all great basses.

Unless you want to spend $5,000 on a bass, and you want a high end bass, go for the Roscoe. They are supurb instruments.

Keith is such a nice guy too. As busy as he is, he'll get back to you by e-mail within 24 hours.

13. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I've had two of them and have had problems with both, each of them have gone back to Keith at least three times. These were both recent basses, came directly from Keith's shop and were not off the floor of a retailer.

Most of the problems were electronic related. On one bass, out of the box, the neck pickup didn't work at all. I called Keith about it and questioned how this could get missed in testing before shipping out, his reply was, "well, I do a little ditti on the bridge pickup". So, he didn't even test the neck pickup to make sure it worked. I have had problems with the neck pickup fading in and out on the same bass. After sending it back the second time for the pickup problem, Keith said they will replace the pickups and preamp, he didn't. After I got it back it did the same thing, so off it went, this time, he did replace everything and now it has been fine. With the same bass I had a truss rod problem, the allen wrench would not go all the way into the adjustment nut, it took two times sending it back for Keith to fix the problem. Keith was fixing this at the same time it was back for the electronic problems.

As far as the cosmetic issues go, on the same mentioned bass, the purple heart strip of wood in the middle of the neck, there is a knot around the third and fourth fret, not only should there not be a knot in the neck for structural reasons (although Keith said it is not a problem with the graphite reinforcement bars in the neck), the finish is different where the knot is so I am feeling it all the time being were the knot is. Very annoying. Keith said he won't replace the neck for this problem but earlier he offered to build me a new bass, huh?! What is the cheaper alternative?

I will say the Roscoe basses sound great and have a nice feel to them but with all the problems and Keith not fixing the problems right the first time, I'd stay clear. Two bass, nothing but problems, I won't buy another or recommend them to anyone.

This is just my experience, everyone seems to have good luck or perhaps they don't say anything about them.

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Wow, that's really crazy...he won't replace the neck, but would replace the bass? You'd think that he'd be able to swap out the neck and be done with it. Did you take him up on the offer? Sounds like no?

15. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    No, I didn't take him up on a new bass and I now wish I had but my reasons for not doing it are; I loved the tone of this bass, it has been back for repair a couple of time already so I figured that all the problems should have already been worked out and getting another one to replace this one, who knows what I would have gotten, so I figured it would be safer for me to keep it and have the corrections done on it.

The neck issue has always been there. I have questioned Keith about it a few time but didn't seemed concerned at all about fixing it. I have put up with it long enough and want it fixed but with Keiths last e-mail, he said he won't replace it so I replied back; "That's funny, you were willing to replace the whole bass a while back and now you won't replace the neck?" I don't think I'm wrong at all about this, Keith put the strip of wood with the knot in it and shouldn't have, at least in the position he did where the player will feel it all the time. I don't care what Keith has said about the strength of his necks, the knot should not be there.

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    I've been playing for 34 years and I've owned just about every brand of bass made. Nothing plays and sounds like my Roscoe. Overall, the quality is excellent. On some of the softer wood tops I've noticed a few imperfections where the finish pitted in a couple of places but I've seen that in all high end basses. Some wood, no matter how many times you apply sealer, is just next to impossible to completely seal.
    I wouldn't stay away from Keith's earlier basses either. I seen some beautiful Roscoe's 10-15 years old. The Bass Player Review (8-9 years ago) captured a small window of time that came and went in a matter of months. And I played a few of those basses and IMO Bass Player over emphisized the flaws. IMO that whole article should be pulled. It's long since served it's purpose and isn't relative anymore! :scowl:

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Cosmetically-speaking my SKB3006 is excellent. I can't find any finish or construction flaws. I was concerned after reading Bass Player's "5-String Shootout" article, but my bass turned out great. Tone-wise I couldn't be happier. It's my first 6-string and it's become my main bass. If (or when ;) ) I'm in the market for another bass, I'd strongly consider another Roscoe.

-Art

18. How are these manufactured? I thought they were all customs for the most part.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Roscoe basses are among the best built, best sounding, best playing basses available, and in the custom/boutique market are one of the best values out there. Keith is one of the most accomodating individuals I've ever dealt with in any business.

I get to see, play, and work with the builders of some of the most incredible works of functional art in the world, it is a joy and privilege to be in the position I am in. Keith Roscoe is one of the people that builds these things, and I'm proud to sell his work, and proud to say he is a friend.

I would personally love to own one of his basses (in time, I will), and am of the opinion that while there are basses out there that are of the same quality, there are none of greater quality. The quality and workmanship of his instruments is unquestionable, in my opinion.

20. I have an LG-3005 that is about 5 years old now. The construction is FLAWLESS. Certainly as good as the Fodera's, MTD's, Ken Smith's, etc. that I have played.