Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe six, why no bids

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because most of the bidding that occurs at an eBay auction happens in the last minute of the auction. People don't want to "show their hand" early on some of the higher-priced items, so they wait until they end.

3. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Or, as is more likely, most of the bidding will probably go on during the last two seconds. That's when the eighty people set up to snipe it let their sniping services fight it out.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Probably not IMO. It's $1650. For most people that's serious money... that's getting the spare change out of the couch AND the recliner AND the back seat of Grandpa's Crown Vic.

A lot of high end basses fall in that price range and don't get much if any activity. It has far less to do with how nice the bass is and more to do with what people are willing and/or able to pay.

I can't count the times I've seen a bass like this not even get a bite at the base price set by the seller, only to be offered again with a lower base and then the bids end up higher than the first auction.

I've sniped several times on stuff like this, never bothered using an automated program.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've been wanting to bid on that bass so bad. It'd be great to have two SKB3006's on stage.

- Art

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Art,
    I can tell you first hand that Roscoe 6's with different pre's really provide some different sounds! I've got one Roscoe 6 with the Demeter and another with the Aguilar OBP-3 and while they both maintain the Roscoe sound they really sound different (in a good way!). Only problem I have is deciding which Roscoe to play. :D

As for the no bid on the Roscoe on Ebay, I'll have to agree with Brad on this one. It takes the right player at the right time (with the $$$'s) to make a high end bass purchase (and $1,650 is a high end bass purchase). Also, typically if I'm going to make a purchase of that magnitude, I don't want to feel the pressure of others bidding for the instrument. I want to be able to call the individual up, discuss details of the instrument and make an offer that's either accepted or countered.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd bet there are also very few people who will pay that much for a bass for themselves without playing it first, regardless of the prestige of the luthier. TB members probably have a higher percentage of players that would compared to the average population.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have a feeling that someone will be bidding on this one at the very end. At the same time, I don't think that it's anything special either to warrent multiple biddings. The add says exhibition grade top, but that doesn't look like an exhibition grade top top me from my many Roscoe dealings.

Also, I'll echo what Joe is saying about the Roscoe 6's...they seem to have a bigger lowend. This may have to do with the larger neck, butthere is certainly a difference compared to my 5's.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    It's difficult to tell from that picture if it is an exhibition grade top or not, but since the serial number is there, there is a good chance I can research it tomorrow at the office and let any TBer's that are curious know the details on the bass.

Based on my experience selling them used at Bass Central, that is a more than reasonable price, even for a non-exhibition topped bass. Most of the SKB 3006's we sold were in the $1800-2000 range if they were in good to excellent condition.

Good luck to anyone going after it....:)

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Now if I could just get the O.K. from my better half! :(

I really want that bass. :hyper:

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In that case, good luck. I picked up my Roscoe 7 off eBay at an absolutely ridiculous price.

And yes, I bought it without playing it first;)

Attached Files:

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I know how you feel about the other half.

Ya gotta love 'em though.

13. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Brad, do you have a pic of the Roscoe 7 ???

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sorry I didn't post this yesterday, but here's the info on that bass:

SKB 3006 Serial #4674: Quilted Maple Top (NOT Exhibition Grade according to our original invoice, but it's a nice top anyhow), Swamp Ash Body, Spalted Purpleheart Fingerboard, Bartolini 3-Band Preamp, Black Hardware, Diamondwood Nut, Case.

New Retail was $3620, and it was shipped to the original dealer (Superbass in OH) on 1/30/03

If there's anything else I can do to help any TBer's out, let me know!

15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Bass ended up selling at the $1650 price .... 1 bidder right at the last minute .............

Congrats to whoever got it ....... nice looking bass :cool:

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Indeed, good deal for the buyer, IMO...hope it's a TBer!

:)

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Gard, you are a true asset to this place......

18. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    NEVER MIND, I must have been half asleep when I posted the request the first time, I see it now.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...naw, Brad pulled a fast one on ya, he snuck that photo in about 9 am eastern this morning...

(check the edit time! ;) )

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Now that's what I call service! :cool:

It's sure good to have friends in high places! :)