Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe skb-6 coming to me soon!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Now I finally get a chance to see what the fuss is all about with a skb-6 from Roscoe, I am getting it from Oldie but Noobe, a fellow TBer, and I am gonna see what it has that my other basses (Ken Smith bsr5gn, Alembic rogue-5) do not. Its a beautiful one too. here is the link to it in the for sale section to view pics.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196774&highlight=roscoe

btw, why doesnt Roscoe put markers on their frettboard?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    We only put the 12th fret marker because we think the bass looks "cleaner" without dots on the board. Side markers at the 3/5/7/9/12/15/17/19/24th frets are standard. (Typically, you can't see the front markers when you're actually playing, anyhow.)

We do offer either dots or oval inlays as options on new orders though, however we think the bass looks it's best "as is".

That bass is a beauty, I had a chance to check it out a couple weeks ago, first hand.

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm so excited for you! :hyper:

The balder the finger board, the prettier the neck IMO. But that's coming from someone who started loosing his hair at 16 and noticable by 21.

IMO: The Roscoe will provide you with a warmer sound than the Alembic (not my favorite tone). As for the Ken Smith- they are great basses, but I love my Roscoes.

Gard will be getting my SKB-3006 by Wednesday for the Demeter preamp switcheroo in place of the Bart preamp.

BTW: Beautiful woods on your bass!

4. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I have been hearing much good news on those Demeter preamps, I guess I will wait to see before I go for the Demeter, since I have already heard much good stuff about the roscoes with the Bart preamps. I hae a feeling its gonna be a Keeper! :smug:

5. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Gard, you are correct, it does look better w/o the frett markers, I am just so use to seeing them on my basses I was curious why they were not on the roscoe, I was not aware that there were side markers, but I should have known better. :cool:

6. Bassmanbob

Bart preamp or Demeter preamp, I can tell you already that it's a keeper. I had the Demter preamp put in my SKB-3005 fretless when it was built, and it just brings the instrument alive more than it already is.

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congratulations on getting the Roscoe 6! That is a beauty and I'm predicting that you're going to fall in love with the way it sounds and plays. Awesome instruments! :bassist:

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    loved that bass when Oldie bought it, it's really got some serious style :D

Congrats !! :cool:

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Congrats!! Nice looking bass.

10. deichman

deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Kansas
    That is a great looking bass. I can say that I love my Roscoe SKB, I am confident you'll love the bass. I have a Roscoe SKB 3005 with the Demeter pre. It is great. Coming soon I have an SKB 3005 with the bart pre. It will sound great too. I did opt. for the oval inlays this time around, just for somehing different. I look forward to your review.

deichman

11. Fire-Starter,
    Congratulations on the purchase. Welcome to your new obsession (besides Jesus! Galatians 2:20 ;) )!!

If you play a lot of praise and worship or Gospel music, this bass is perfect for that. I would recommend you drop in the Aguilar 3-band or the Demeter 3-band preamp when you get it. If you're happy with the tone the way it is, then just enjoy!

12. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I was not expecting my Roscoe until Wednesday, but I checked the fedx tracking info and it says its here in my town :hyper: A whole day before the estimated time of arrival, I wonder if they will let me come get it :bassist: I will keep you all posted, I may even get the nerve to try to submit some sound bytes, but after hearing some of you TBers play, I am a little afraid of not being quite up to par. oh well :D

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new SKB! :hyper:

14. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    It arrived today, and I just cant believe how Beautiful it is, and how low the action is without any buzz, I am just to floored for words now :hyper: I must go now a practice some more, and learn what the pull out know next to the bass/treble is for. YES!!!!!!!

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Told ya! :)

...the push/pull knob you are referring to is the midrange control, the push/pull part is to allow you to cut/boost two different frequencies of mids.

If you've got any other questions, you know where to find me!

;)

16. Bassmanbob

Hey, that's great!

You're going to love it even more when you feel more comfortable with it. Enjoy.

17. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  18. quite a collection there!

To me it looks like the heavy hitters are in the lower right corner - Smith, Roscoe, Alembic.

19. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Yes, hevey hitters indeed, they are like the Clean up hitters in a batting lineup, although they are quite different in sound, feel, and personality :bassist: :cool:

20. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Congra man !
    I know what you mean with "low action" I was also shocked when I received mine this noon. I'll have to get used to it
    :)

Shiveringbass, bassist for Shivering