1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ROSCOE SKB for modern sounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jackbass, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Hi Bassfriends,

I was looking for a Warwick Streamer jazzman 5 but I have the opportunity to get an amazing ROSCOE SKB with Nordstrand DC and a great Redwood top :

[​IMG]

I am searching for an agressive bass with modern bright tones (Tool like). I know Nordstrand pickups are excellents but I wonder if the Roscoe sound is modern enought.

All the samples I can find are very low-sub sounding.

I ll propably try it this week end...

2. You may want to consider posting this in the Roscoe forum. Likely get more/better responses.
    Fishheadjoe

3. harrybosch

harrybosch Banned

Aug 18, 2008
    I personally don't think the Nordstrand pickups are all that great and would not describe Roscoe's as being aggressive. They're great basses but have a smooth compressed sound, even with the Nord's.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Judging by the switch on that bass, I'm assuming it has the Audere preamp in it??

IME, the Nordstrand/Audere combination is NOT what you are looking for if you are looking for "aggressive". If you are looking for a more aggressive-tone out of a Roscoe, make sure it has an ash body, Bart CB pickups, and Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

I personally don't think that bass will really give you what you are describing.

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    It's clearly what I fear.

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Try it out and see if you like it. If you can get the tone(s) you're looking for, get it, if not, don't. But only you can decide if the sound is what you're looking for.

7. Well for me, I thought the Roscoe I just recently sold was modern enough for me. Mine was an SKB-3005 Ash body/Exhib. Quilt Maple top with Std. Neck + Pau Ferro board, and I had the same Nord DC5 pickups but I had the Aggie OBP-3 pre.

I had Roscoe install 2 switches to toggle Series/Single Coil/Parallel [one for each pickup] and that probably helped on my bass at least.

However, I wouldn't put my sold Roscoe anywhere near my MTD 535 as far as "modern" is concerned between the two basses.

8. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I think the Roscoe SKB tone in general is fairly modern. When I owned mine I kind of missed the traditional jazz and P bass tones.

A lot of the sound will depend on the woods also. One thing I've noticed about the more boutique style basses is that you really need to play them first. There seems to be a pretty large tonal variance from bass to bass due to the body wood(s), neck and fingerboard woods, and different pickup options. It gets somewhat hard to describe the Roscoe SKB tone when there are a lot of possible combinations. Just my opinion though.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I have a pair of Roscoe SKB's (a 5er and a 6er) and play them for almost every style of music. Funk (not the best for slap though), blues, metal, classic rock, reggae, etc.

SKB's are IMO one of the best basses available at any price.

Having said that.... my basses have Barts and the Demeter preamp and the bosy wood is spanish cedar. I can nail Tool (Justin's Wal) pretty convincingly.

I am not so sure the Nodys are the right PU for the tone you are looking for. Also, if the pre is the Audere, I think it would sound even less like what you are looking for. If it has the Demeter pre and Nordys, it might be closer to what you are looking for.

Bottom line? Go try it and see if it fits into the style you play!