1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe SKB3006 - my sunshine on a rainy day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by echo008, Apr 22, 2006.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    My end of a recent trade deal!

Roscoe SKB3006
    Spalt/Quilt Maple on Ash body
    Maple/Purpleheart/Cherry accents on the neck
    Katalox Fingerboard
    Wood Nut (looks to be cherry wood as well)
    Bart 3 band

This is the 2nd SKB3006 I have owned ... this one seems updated with a couple of small but very nice touches like the Cherry accent laminations on the neck and there is a thin (fake) lamination between the body and the top wood where the stain does not cover the ash so it gives the impression of another lamination. Very cool!

This neck is the slimmest I have ever felt on any bass that I have ever owned, very easy to play and I love the Bart 3 band warm and strong and smooth and on and on and on......

- Tom

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah he does that lamination on the body affect with the finish on almost all of his basses now, at requst/suggestion.

Looks great, nice bass :)

3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks!
    Roscoe might very well be the "best bang for the buck" out there right now in the high endish boutique bass arena ...
    - Tom

4. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC

Nice bass man! I agree, my SKB3006 is built like a tank and plays like a dream. Definitely some serious bang for the buck...

Shawn

5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Very nice. Is it the angle of the picture or is that a Century Signature with the longer upper horn?

6. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    No not a Century model ... although I do see what you mean.
    Thanks
    - Tom

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    What a great looking bass! Congrats.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new SKB! :hyper:

9. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Guys

10. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Good job echo! I'd say you fared very well on you trade.:smug:

Katalox board with an ash body sounds like a great combo. Good snap and top end. I like the sound of katalox - like ebony but not as clacky on the top end.

I played a gig last night and the sound man mentioned about 6 times how much he loved the tone on my Roscoe (Demeter preamp).

I think you scored!!

11. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I am a very happy camper right now with this bass, the katalox with Ash body does give a nice snappier edge to the tone, My old SKB had a spalted Purpleheart board with a Cedar body and it sounded a bit "rounder and warmer" in comparison. Both basses had the Bart 3 band.

I have been hearing quite a bit about the Demeter pre amps now avaialble for the Roscoe, I have not had the chance to hear them though. I personally love the Bart pre, I like that Darker tone.

Thanks
    - Tom

12. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    If you like the tone warmer, then stick with what you have there. The ash/katalox/Demeter combo would be pretty cutting - maybe not what you want.

I like a fairly bright tone, but the Barts + the Demeter also is very smooth.

13. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY

I hear the Demeter gives out "Glassy Highs" I do like the way the Barts sit in the mix as well, one of the only active basses that I actually like that way.
    - Tom