Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe SKB3006 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JetJazz, Nov 24, 2004.

1. JetJazz

JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    I'd like to know what strings Roscoe SKB3006 owners are using. I'm due for a change.

JetJazz

Roscoe SKB3006
    Dean Jeff Berlin Signature

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The DR Lo Rider Nickel sound nice. The DR's actually fit without having to get a "Super Long" set. GHS Bass Boomers also sound good and they also fit without having to get them in the "Super Long" set.
    The best deal is still the D'addario XL's (nickel) but you do have to get them in the "Super Long" set. I just prefer the nickel strings. Better midrange, not as harsh highs and much easier on the frets! :)

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Pretty much what Joe says is dead on. I have two SKB 5's, one with DR's, and the other with D'Addario, and both sound really nice, but I think that the D'Addarios sound a bit better to my ears. I also like the feel of the D'Addarios better as well. I think that you can't really go wrong with either.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    JOME77, I prefer the D'Addario XL170's on my other basses, but I can't find a Super Long set even on D'Addario's website. If you can tell me where I can find the super long set, I'd really appreciate it.

Juststrings.com doesn't stock a super long set, and said D'Addario either doesn't make them or they're extremely hard to get. But D'Addario's FAQ section shows their long scale set will work on basses with a 34" through 36" scale :confused: .

Keith Rosoce verified what you said; A super long set is recommended.

I've changed my strings once to the XL170-6 set, but for the life of me I don't remember if they were super long or long scale. I think I threw the package away-Great!!!

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, -Art

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Art,
    I think that I can help you out. You've got PM.

6. JetJazz

JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    The super-long D'Addarios for the SKB 3006 can be purchased directly from Keith Roscoe if you can't find them anywhere else.

Jetjazz

7. I've owned a few Roscoes. I thought D'Addario XL's were the best on these basses, with DR Low Rider Nickels in second.