Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe SKB3006 Tone Settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimmyjazz, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Any Roscoe players got tips on tone settings etc for the SKB3006. I got it used with no manual. Is there any way to switch off the preamp?

Thanks

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    you get no help until we get pics....:D

As far as I know there isn't a way to turn off the pre-amp. You might want to PM boogiebass or Adrian Garcia, those guys should be able to tell you for sure.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Jimmyjazz,
    There is no way to switch off the preamp on stock Roscoes. I assume that you have a Bartolini 2 or 3-band EQ Pre-amp. You can make some slight mod's to the wiring and install an active/passive switch. You can get wiring info from the Bartolini web site. The wiring diagram for the NTMB can be found at: http://www.bartolini.net. I've never performed the mod for anyone but have seen it on some Pedulla's and Laklands. Basically I believe that you lose tone controls and have a basic volume only. I would only see this as an advantage if you had a battery go dead at an inopportune time.
    As far as basic control settings, if you have the 3-band EQ the controls are master volume, pickup blend, Mid w/push pull (to allow change in center freq), and concentric bass (bottom) and treble (top). All EQ controls are +/- 12 db (boost or cut) I believe. If you pull up on the Mid control and boost it while panning the P/U blend to the bridge P/U you can get some awesome Jaco type tones. If you have the 2-band EQ go ahead and package the bass up and send it to Keith to upgrade the electronics. I think that they are that much better! I upgraded my first Roscoe and he did it for a very fair price.:)

4. Does anybody know what 2 frequencies the 2 midrange center frequencies are?

I hear the difference but I don't know what frequencies they are.

5. The frequencies are 800 Hz with the nob down and 250 hz with it pulled up.

-Chris

6. Thanks Chris.

Would you say the 250 Hz helps you get a P bass tone? Or is it just to get more of a lower mid, Ampeg kind of tone?

BTW, if you still have those mp3's of your Roscoe, that would be a big help for me.

Thanks.

7. Like JOME77 said, the 250 Hz boost works pretty well with the bridge pickup soloed. It adds a lot of grunt and low mids. I run the bass flat 99% of the time active with the tone controls flat though. Here are the original clips I posted before of my rig (home built cab and eden head) miked. I had the active/passive mod done to my bass by Mike Lull using a 250k pot. The tone controls on the amp were flat with the enhance nob at ~8 o'clock. The bass at the time has a new set of DR Hi-Beams.

neck pickup (active with tone controls flat)
    bridge pickup (active with tone controls flat)
    both pickups (active with tone controls flat)

Last night I rerecorded my bass running direct into my soundcard (a soundblaster Live! value) with varioud setting trying to show the different effects of the bass' onboard EQ. The bass is strung with TI powerbass strings now. I normalized all of the clips to keep the volume similar. The passive clips sound noisier because the volume of the recording had to be boosted more and you hear the soundcards noisefloor more.

neck pickup (active with tone controls flat)
    neck pickup (passive)
    bridge pickup (active with tone controls set flat)
    bridge pickup (active with boost at 250 Hz of half the nob's range)
    bridge pickup (passive)
    both pickups (active with controls set flat)
    both pickups (active with mid cut at 800 Hz all the way)
    both pickups (passive)

Anyway, I just thought that this would be easier than trying to explain the different sounds. Of course, there is a lot more that you can do with the EQ as far as bass and treble goes, but I find I like the sound of the bass run active with the controls flat the best.

-Chris

8. Chris,
    Thanks for the effort you took in posting all these different samples. Sounds great!

How did you achieve your passive sound if you cannot bypass the preamp in the bass? Is this a modification? Can you go passive?

9. It's a modification. I can go passive by pulling up on the volume pot.

-Chris

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    John,
    The wiring and required parts are defined at the Bartolini site http://www.bartolini.net
    You can either replace the volume control with a push-pull pot or add a DPDT switch.
    Changing the subject, I e-mailed Keith today and he is going to send me some pictures of my fretless "under contruction" this week. I'll post them when I get them.
    Joe:)

11. Great! Can't wait to see them! Post them on this thread. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=63287