Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roscoe/smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Oct 22, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    so, BSR6MW or Roscoe LG3006. Which bass would you rather play and why ?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are you talking about 2 specific instruments, or is this just a philosophical question? for those of us not enlightened on the exact specs of those instruments, why don't you share them with us?

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    specifics aside, i would rather play the roscoe, though i would choose the SKB series over the LG, since i prefer the larger body, especially considering the fact that its a six string. also, ive never once played a ken smith that ive liked, due to the string spacing and the neck, which are both too wide for my taste(a.k.a airplane runway), and also because the bodies of his basses dont fit me like a roscoe does. i also prefer the sound of a roscoe to a ken smith, hands down. i feel completely at home on a roscoe six, like nothing else ive ever played. all IMO of course. have you played either of these basses yet? now, back to specs, john turner made an excellent suggestion, and it would be good for those who arent familiar with either of those basses to be able to see some more information. good luck in your choosing.

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    godoze, i just now saw your other thread on roscoe/smith basses, and that you do own a smith. play some roscoes, and see if you dont like them.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just came back from my local bass shop . played a skb3006 with cedar body and quilted maple top. very well balanced bass, good tone. I have to say I prefer my Smith. While I felt that the skb had a good tone I think the smith has a larger pallette of sounds. i also found the the overall finish of the bass to be a bit sloppy in areas (loose knobs specifically) IMHO only...:)

6. Haven't played a Roscoe yet. But on the Ken Smiths, I also thought the string spacing and neck were too wide for me. I could only get one sound out the the bass, even with the BMT 3-band. The sound was very good, but I thought it wasn't a versatile bass. Now whether versatility is good or bad depends on the player, but for me it is good. The fit and finish was excellent. I played a neck-thru 6 and a bolt-on 6. Both had the same sound, probably due to extreme similarities in woods on each bass and the same electronics.

As for the loose knobs, the Roscoe knobs can be tightened and loosened for removal with an allen key, IIRC. This probably isn't so much a finish problem as a setup problem due to the store where you played it not taking proper care of the instrument. This seems far too common at many chain stores.

Geoff

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Having played a few Roscoes in my time, I can say that the more strings he adds the better the basses. The 5s are killer. The 6s rule, and the 7? OH SWEET JEBUS! Best bass I have ever played hands down.

I'd rather get the Roscoe.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Don, your location says near Philly -- what shop carries Roscoes? I need to know! :D

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    is there such a beast ? the guy with the skb was also trying to sell me (he didn't have it in the shop) an lg3006.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i would try the guitar villa in quakertown. take ne extension to wuakerton exit. follow to rt 309. turn right and you cannoy miss the GIANT STRAT that they have as a sign.

they have a ton. actaully they have a lot of very nice peices ! If i go for the skb i will probably go there; the guy i dealt with today was a bit shady.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Thanks!

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    let me rehprase that : the guitar villa is not shady. the guy is saw this afternoon was . guitar villa is a very cool shop with tons o' stuff and very knowledgeable folks on the inside !

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    could you describe your smith? a pic would be nice too ;) :D

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yes there is a LG3006. It's a six string with the smaller body style and slanted pick-ups (LG = Little Girl). The LG model is available in 4,5, & 6, The SKB (Skyscraper Bass) is available in 5, 6, & 7.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have seen 2 lg3006- a lefty that belongs to Jimmy Haslip, and a red maple one that i actually played-
    i would also choose Roscoe, in fact i have!
    by the way, if you dont find what you like , im also a Roscoe dealer- and i have a few pieces comin in soon-
    heres a shot of the SKB6 that will be here in 2 weeks-
    [​IMG]

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    sure. my electric is a smith bsr6mw. flamed maple core with book matched walnut top and back. center block is also flamed maple. neck is three piece eastern rock maple with morado fingerboard with pearl side markers. smith soapbars and active EQ. here are some pics