Roscoe vs. Lakland Skylines

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Eventhough i LOVE(read as insanely obsessed with) my SKB3006, i think i'm going to go back to fives as my workhorse axes. I need a fretted 5ver and a frettless to match(finally i'll have a name sake!), but i need them a little sooner than i can save up the 5 grand+ I would need to get SKB3005s...

My point? Oh yea...Do lakland skylines (any of them) compare to the sound/playability of a Roscoe? I picked the laklands because they seem to be the one brand that everyone says the low-B kills on, and that is VERY crucial.

So any feedback would be appriciated!! :D Thanks in advance.

P.S. I expect you to chime in quick on this one A.G. (and yes now i know how you feel about sixes :p )
  2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    If it were me, I'd pick up a pair of Dingwall Afterburner's. I think it's the best B around, and they're of impeccable handmade quality. I went into Bass Central with my mind set on diggin' the Lakland's, and the Dingwall's SMOKED'em IMO.
  3. I have played a lakland skyline 55-02 and a roscoe LG-3005. I can say that the roscoe did have a better B string, but the lakland also has a very nice and real playable B string too.

I think if you are looking for a Fenderish 5er then the lakland would be a good option. it is a pretty different style bass from the roscoe but they are very nice. I have not heard anyone complain about them yet. they are just not some peoples "style"
  4. I was thinking about those, but lately i've lost atleast 3 gigs due to the fact that i have a non-fender styled multi-string bass. I think even an afterburner might scare some close-minded A-holes i have to deal with... :( :mad:

I'm also looking for something that makes me fit in with the band looks wise (I hate the fact that this is important...) so i want to stick with a simpler look being that both my guitarists use fender strats :rolleyes: :p :smug:
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've seen alot of SKB 3005's in the ~$1500 price range...
  6. I'm shooting for more the $1500 RETAIL range ;)

And i suspect you mean used?
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How about a Roscoe of a different sort?

Fender Roscoe Beck 5's can be had used at good prices.
    I don't think they come fretless, but you could have one de-fretted.

Looks fairly Fender-ish. ;)
  8. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've played both, and i think if you get the skyline you won't be disapointed. They have one heck of a b-string, and the look is classic. I'm in the same position you're in, looking for a bass that closed minded people are cool with, and i'm probably picking up a 55-2 cherryburst.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Drew, i have faced the same dilemma.
    Had a gorgeous MTD 635... Mr Boogie Man hated it... so i had to replace it with a " Fender type" and I needed a 5 - guess what i got?
    a Lakland 55- 94 - and it nailed the gig.
    the 55-02 being essentially a clone of that bass would be a great choice-
    it's a completely different animal than a Roscoe, but it a stupendous gigging bass- sounds great in any the price range...great choice.
  10. Deep

May 8, 2002
    Adrian is sooo right on the money with what he says. The funny thing about my 55-94 is that after playing and owning so many great basses...MTD, Fodera, Zon etc is that when you have not played the Lakie for a while and were busy with the other basses, you pick up the Lakie and "damn" this bass IS really great. A workhorse....sounds great, plays great, takes a beating and has a teriffic B string. And for many gig situations has the "familiar" headstock that does not freak out some bandleaders. I'm sure the 55-02 is close. Also for me, if I put a regular B string instead of the tapered, the B string not only has the clarity and focus but it also sounds "fatter" and thicker, to me anyway. Good luck.
  11. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    It's funny that you say this, because that is the ONLY reason I didn't get the Dingwall. It sucks having to buy something just to make your bandmates happy, doesn't it?

Still, I WILL be buying a Dingwall in the very near future, even if I have to sit in my bedroom and play it alone. ;) That's how much I liked it.
  12. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Some interesting and valid points have been brought up here.

We've prototyped a few traditional flavored designs, but nothing that completely satisfies. I'm confident that if we keep at it, we'll find a balance of traditional look and updated performance that pays homage to Leo's designs without looking like we raided his parts bins.

As always, I'm open to suggestions.
  13. Thanks for chiming in Sheldon! (can i call you sheldon? :p :D ). You know, i think your designs are out of this world and you shouldn't change a thing! Dingwalls are amazing basses and I WILL own one, but i don't think you should bend to the will of these close minded explatives we have to deal with at all. IMHO the unique body shape, fanned fret system, and incredible sound clarity of your basses are a very welcome breath of fresh air into the bass world. My hat is off to you. Keep up the GREAT work.

Yea it does suck! big time! I hear you about the Dingwall man, they are out-freakin'-standing!

What kind of strings did you replace the stock ones with? One thing i'm slightly worried about is a non-tapered B fitting through the string through body slots. I us DR Lo-Riders religiously because i love the feel (and tight B), but will the non-tapered B fit without problems?(the gauge is .130 or .135 IIRC)

As always, your input is absolutely invaluable. I guess i have to add two 55-02s to the long list of gear i'll be buying from you :smug:

What kind of pickups will you be getting in it? I read they offer Barts and SDs if i'm not mistaken. I think for applications (Heavy/Prog rock, Fusion) i'd prefer the bigger bottom and aggresiveness of SDs. Keep me posted, bro.

I've played a few Roscoe Becks and i think they are solid basses, but i don't think i could forgive myself if i bought a second one just to have it defretted ;)

Thanks for all the quick feedback fellas! It's greatly appriciated :D
  14. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I've used the Low-Rider SS. The .130 B fits with no problem. I've used it thru the bridge and thru body. It makes it over the nut with no problem when strung thru-body. It may not look like it will make it to the nut while you are stringing it up, but when you press the string down on the bridge saddle at the witness point it will give you more of the final wrap on the nut. So it fits fine. For some reason (to me) it sounds thicker and fatter. I heard the Roscoe B is incredible. I've never played one though. But I heard it's real FAT(BIG) sounding. So a regular wound string on the Lakie may bring it closer to that. The Lakland B string forte is its amazing focus and clarity. Hope this helps.
  15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I have a couple of Roscoe 3005's and 1 1/2 ago I acquired a Skyline 55-02 (Rosewood FB) as a backup bass. I was real impressed with the workmanship and neck feel of the Skyline bass. The bass had the USA Bart pre and a MM and J-bass P/U and sounded great upstairs in my music room, but after playing it at several gigs, I was disappointed in its sound. You would have thought that the Skyline with the Bart pre and P/U's (and a bolt on neck) would have had some sounds real similar to the Roscoe but it didn't. It had trouble cutting through the mix at all. So much for the theory "it's all in the P/U and electronics". Since then, I've actually heard better reviews of the 55-01 Skylines. I've never played a 55-01 so I can't really say. IMO you'd be very disappointed going from the Roscoe to the Skyline. The Skyline is not in the same league as the Roscoe.
    My advise would be to pickup a used Skyline (used Skyline 55-02's can be found for $600-800) prior to selling your Roscoe and try it out on a few gigs. You can always resale the used Skyline without a cash loss. If you sell the Roscoe and then decide you've messed up, it'll cost you some $$$ to get another Roscoe.
    I know that I'd hate to have given up one of my Roscoe's for the Skyline 55-02 I purchased. :bawl:
  16. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I don't think the Skyline and the Roscoe can be compared to each other either. The 55-94? Yes. Even though the 55-02 has the same guts and pups the construction is not exactly the same as the 55-94. To me the 55-94 feels every bit as solid and has the quality of a Sadowsky. Not the same sound as one 'cause they do sound different. But for the money the 55-02 is very good.
  17. Sell the roscoe my A$$!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm NEVER selling the roscoe! It's the last thing my grandfather ever gave me, it's beyond being sold.

I just need a couple basses to due the workhorse and gig attracting thang in ADDITION to the Roscoe :D

Honestly i don't expect anything to be in same league with a Roscoe for under 2300 bucks. I just want a VERY solid and well rounded bass that can somewhat get close to the agressive and deep tone my roscoe has so my music wont sound so terribly different live than recorded (which will be done with the SKB3006). I also want something that has the silky playability that defines the feel of my bass playing (which will be helped out alot by using the same strings i think).

Thanks! That puts my mind at ease about the strings. Yes the Roscoe B is insane! If you're ever in philly drop me a line, i can clear out my basement and let you take the SKB3006 for a test drive, but i gotta warn you, you will LOVE it! :p
  18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    My bad! I guess I assumed that you were replacing the Roscoe with 2 - 5 string basses. Sometimes I read too fast!
    IMO, with a Roscoe at home, the Skyline would collect a lot of dust! The Skyline's not your answer. Also eliminate the G&L L2500. I also tried that one. Still looking for a backup bass for the Roscoe's (I play a lot of OS gigs and really don't like subjecting the Roscoe's to the heat and cold). Next bass to try.........Gecko! At least I'll have fun putting it together! :D
  19. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    thank god !
  20. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The one i'm probably going to get has bart in it. Which is fine with me b/c every bass i own has barts, and i LOVE how they sound. I imagine the SD's sound great though. AHH, this thread is making me impatient to get that bass!!