Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe vs. Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fourbin, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    I currently own a Modulus Q5 that I put up for sale/trade yesterday. Today someone contacted me about trading for his Roscoe LG3005 with tobacco sunburst flamed top and pauferro board. I've never played a Roscoe but have always loved how they look and have been curious as to how they sound/play. I have no problems buying sight unseen over the internet as I can always resell it...

I'm curious as to what those who have played both Quantums and the Roscoes think? Should I go for it? What do you like about the Roscoe?

Thanks in advance...

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Go for it!

3. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Are those both yours? Can you compare/contrast the sound, feel and playability?

4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd say go for the Roscoe. It has a warmer, fuller sound, better feeling neck and an amazing B string. Plus they record a tad better IMO.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I own a Q5, and have played a Roscoe SKB 3006. Both are great basses, but based on my limited experience with a Roscoe, I would have to give the Roscoe the edge by just a hair. That might be because I am seriously gassing for a Roscoe 6er, though, too. :)

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    DO IT, MAN!!! DO IT NOW!!!!

7. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    They are easily the best playing basses ive ever played. Sound REALLY good going direct, but then again the modulus sounds great going too. I love both of these basses, but i prefer the roscoe.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yes, both are mine. I took the pic just for you. ;)

Why are you selling the Modulus? What is it NOT doing for you? What do you like most about it?

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well one things for sure, you're selling your Modulus so it must not be doing it for you. I tried a Roscoe 8 years ago hoping that they would be what I was looking for. I've now had 3 (currently 1 fretted and 1 fretless) and not only were they everything I hoped they would be, they were much more! Awesome playing and awesome sounding! I've played several Modulus bass and they all lacked the warmth of the Roscoe. Modulus basses are great for touring (i.e. graphite neck) but I'd take the Rosoce over a Modulus any day.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I just bought a Roscoe SKB-3006 and I'm absolutely in love with it. I fell semi-in love with an LG-3005 about 3 weeks before I bought the 3006. I played a Q5 at the store where I bought the 3006 and honestly I wasn't greatly impressed with it, but it could just be after playing the Roscoe :D The Modulus did have a great neck with really easy playability, but the tone from the Roscoe really just blew the Modulus out of the water.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like it's not only IMO, but I prefer Roscoes. I owned a Modulus Quantum for 1-1/2 years and found it was anything but warm. Roscoes have a lot more warmth.

Also, I've found the neck shape of the Roscoe a little more comfortable than either the old neck shape (pre truss rod) Modulus or the current (with truss rod) neck shape of the Modulus.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I guess I should add that I agree with the "warmth" bit as well. The Roscoe was able to dial in a good warm jazzy tone while the Modulus always seemed to have a bit of a bite to it that I wasn't crazy about.

To put it simply, I could get Modulus-like tones from the Roscoe, but I couldn't get Roscoe-like tones from the Modulus.

13. WARNING!
    Getting a Roscoe will seriously damage your appreciation for other basses.
    :bassist:

It's hard to pick up my BD7 sometimes.

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Well here is the counter point. I had the Amazingly gorgeous Roscoe shown in my signature avatar. (LG3005 Quilt maple, Augilar OBP-1 pre, ebony Fingerboard, Swamp Ash body.) I found a Modulus Q5 that I also fell in love with; Blackstone quilt maple top 5 string bass with EMG's. A 2003 model. I couldn't really afford to keep both. So, ....

I got the Modulus Q5 home and kept doing an A-B comparison. A-B testing was through my Ashdown ABM500 EVO into a Bergantino HT322. To my ears, the Modulus was punchier across the frequency range. Yes, the Roscoe was warmer and had a bit more 'wood' to it's tone. The neck was a bit faster on the Roscoe and the bass was lighter in weight overall. The Neck on The Modulus neck is also very nice. No major complaints here. Just different. Both are good.
    The B String on the Roscoe is everything people say it is. However, I found it to be louder significantly than the other strings so that when I played with the same right hand attack, the B string notes jumped out as louder. That bothered me a little. I had to modify my right hand technique and play lighter when I got to the B string on the Roscoe.

Teh B String on the Modulus is absolutely incredible, tight, punchy and focused, but it is more balanced with the sound of all the other strings.

Ultimately, I chose the Modulus for the crunch, it's cut in the mix, and I get compliments all the time.

You can't go wrong with either bass really. The Modulus can sound a little bright and brittle on the top end if you're not carefully., but conversely, when I slap, it cuts through the mix really well.

Whether you think the Roscoe is better is a matter of taste and what you're looking for in terms of tone. In terms of feel alone, I like the Roscoe a bit more than the Modulus.

Hope that helps.

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I'll agree with Roscoe5. I find that string tone is more even on the Mod than on the Roscoe. I prefer a tight punchy B and even in volume across the strings. But the Roscoes do have an excellent tone.
    It depends on your applications really. If you want to cut through loud guitars and drums, go for the Mod. Just IMO.
    Also, I'm not sure you could get a Mod sound out of a Roscoe. Especially if EMGs come into the equation.
    Both excellent basses though. It's win win.

16. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I unfortunately have never had the oppurtunity to play a Roscoe, but from what I hear they are amazing. In my six years of playing, I have brought myself down a path that has finally reached an end (for now), and that is my Modulus. I recently picked up a Flea 4 string with the Lane Poor pickup on a deal that even I couldn't believe. I have loved it since the minute I saw it many years ago, and love it even more now that I own one. Now I know it's not exactly a Quantum, but from my playing experiences and from others opinions, they are fairly similar basses. So my advice, and it seems to be the first one so far, go with the Modulus. I have yet to regret it and hopefully you won't either. And plus, how cool is it to show off that graphite neck!?!?

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I do have to retract my earlier statement and say that the one thing the Roscoe didn't have that the Modulus did (IMHO, of course :) ) was the overall punchiness. The graphite neck of the Modulus makes for uber-punchiness, but at the lack of the possibility of a truly "warm" sound. My Roscoe (Spanish Cedar body, maple neck with purpleheart sapwood fingerboard) can be extremely punchy, but just in a different way than the Modulus.

Honestly, I've never noticed that. I haven't played at loud volumes (read: giggable volumes), so that could be one thing. I'll know more about it this weekend when I sit in at church (the bass player wants a break and most of all wants to hear/see my new bass :D ). All I know is that with my DR Lo-Riders (inherently stiff string from what I heard and now see), the B string is nothing short of amazing. I guess another thing to keep in mind is that yours was an LG and mine is an SKB. I don't know of any SIGNIFICANT differences aside from the slanted pickup and smaller body, but there could be some as I've not A/B'd them side-by-side.

I think that is very, very true. You're not going to go wrong with either bass.

FWIW, there was a significant price difference in the two basses I played. My Roscoe, which had a sticker price of $1750, and the Modulus, which had a sticker price of $4599. Slight difference, if I do say so myself :eek: !

18. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I would have to assume that you are talking used Roscoe price verses new Modulus price. The basic Roscoe 3005 retail is ~$3,500 and based on what I've seen as the norm, relatively the same for the Modulus.

Concerning the comment in a previous reply stating that the "B" string is significantly louder than the other strings. I've had 3 3005's and set-up/repaired several other Roscoe's (3005 & 3006's) and when the bass is set-up properly this is not a problem. That's not to say that you couldn't EQ in a manner that could accentuate the freq's of the B string.

19. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Hi

I own a Roscoe Skb 3006 fretless , and it's really one of the best bass I ever played . Comfort, playbility, tone, and look : all in one !!! :cool:

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Everyone is comparing the Mod Quantum to the Roscoe. What are your thought on the Genesis to the Roscoe? Are they apples to oranges or what?