Roscoe with Pope Flexcore preamp (from Roscoe Forum)

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by Bama Bass, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Bama Bass

Bama Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Any Roscoeheads out there have one of the new Pope Flexcore preamps installed in their Roscoe?
    I'm considering purchasing the following model and installing it in my LG-3006.

Mike Pope Flexcore - Core 2stk.2stk
    2-Pickup, 4-Knob*, 1-Switch

Master Volume/Passive Tone stacked control
    Pickup Blend control
    Treble/Bass stacked control
    Hi Mid/Lo Mid stacked control
    Active/Passive toggle switch

I'd sure like to hear from anyone that either has one of the Pope preamps in their Roscoe or has at least heard one in another brand bass.

Thanks!

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    Yep, got one in my Century with a set of Fralins. I tried the stock Barts and Aguilars as well. The Aggies kind of remind me of Roscoe/Barts as they add some compression. I would love to try a set of the Aero pickups. A very versatile preamp. The mids go from nice and smooth to rip your face off and throw it in a blender mean. Lows are tight, but not as tight as the Demeter, the highs are pretty nice. What I like is the Tone knob works in both passive and active and works great in the active mode for cutting the highs like the old passive tone circuit.

I recommend copper foil in the cavity and if you add Single coils like me, copper under the pickups as well.

Pickup Blend control
    Mid toggle switch (If you don't want to drill another hole, tape your active/passive and stuff it in the cavity as you will want this switch)

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Very cool Clint!

Are the highs as glassy as the Demeter?
    I'm planning on using it with the Bart CB's so extra shielding shouldn't be an issue. I believe that the Bart CB's will work OK in the passive. Have you ever wired any Bart CB's up with the passive option?

So I guess the big question would be, "is the Pope worth the extra ~$80-100 over the Roscoe Demeter"? The only down side the Roscoe Demeter (IMO) is the less than aggressive (but smooth) mid's.

5. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    I haven't wired the Pope with the CB's. I do know the Pope does sound better than the Demeter when used with the Bart JJ pickups, much fuller sounding where the Demeter was too bright and clean. So using the Pope with a JJ pickup I will say it sounds better than the Demeter and would be a good preamp for Roscoe to offer in a JJ bass.

The pope does have a gain pot to allow you to match the passive/active output. I have had the preamp installed for about a month now and have never used the passive mode except for messing around. Definitely get the Mid-Switch as I got the mid switch a week after installing the preamp and it seems to give the EQ a more rounded tone.

The highs don't dial in as fast as the Demeter, but I found with tweaking the treble and upper mids a hair the highs sound really good without sounding clanky. You can get some smooth mids with the Pope with Mid-Switch as once I added the switch the mids tamed down. The preamp is a hi-fi preamp so when you crank the upper mids and treble you do get some hiss, but not like the Audere. I have played mine under lights and bad electrical conditions and even with the single coils it is a pretty quiet preamp.

6. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Definitely sounds like the Pope preamp could work for me.
    I still haven't given up on the Audere. It's not noisy at all and records really well. It just sounds so polite when you crank it up live.
    I may wait until we have the GA GTG so I can play Deon (Sha's) Roscoe 3006 with the Demteter preamp installed.

It's hard to translate/relate what you're saying about the Pope with the SC JJ p/u's you have to the art CB's. Such a different sounding p/u. Especially given your comment on how the Demeter preamp sounded with the JJ p/u's. That's not at all how the Demeter sounds with Bart soap bars (Roscoe Bart or CB). As you well know.

How about bringing that bass to the GA GTG? :)

7. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    The Demeter doesn't very good with the Bart JJ pickups. The JJ is missing the thickness of the the CB and Roscoe Bart pickups and the placement is different on the JJ Roscoe models. The Demeter's mid scoop was even scooped more with the JJ pickups and the highs were just too bright. As for the bottom end you had to set it to 3 o'clock.

It doesn't take much tweaking to get a real aggressive mid tone. I imagine this preamp would sound awesome with the CBs with the mids getting a little overbearing with the Roscoe Barts.

I may have to go to Boston in September, when is the GA GTG?

8. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Sept. 15th 12:00 - 4:00 PM

I'm really leaning toward giving the Pope preamp a try.

9. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    9/15 - good day. It's my birthday. Alas, I can't make the GTG for another sound reason on that day - I have a gig.

Hope all goes well, Joe! Would love to meet you someday....

10. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Likewise Pete! I really regret not rearranging things so I could attend the Roscoe GTG. Hopefully they'll do it again next year and if they do I'll definitely find a way to be there. Hopefully you can make it too.

11. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Hey, Joe - if it matters - I still have the Demeter preamp that I bought off you, and I'd happily sell it back to ya!

12. Im interested in it Greg if he passes.... :bassist:

13. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I think that I'm going to give the Pope a try first Greg. It's just too tempting not to check out.

Thanks for the offer though!:)

14. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    No prob, Joe!

LG - sounds like it's your's ifens you wants it!

15. yea man..shoot me a pm with a price

16. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    This will probably be the easiest install you have done considering it is all modular. Read the directions carefully as they can be a little confusing if you breeze through them.

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm still bummed that I'll miss the GA GTG this year, but the timing stinks for me. :meh:

We're already talking about round 2 for the shop/GSO GTG next year, probably a bit earlier in the year this time - and if they don't continue to drag @$$, at the NEW Casa de Lewis (they're SUPPOSED to be installing the flooring starting today :hyper: ). Jimmy seems to be into the idea too...it was a GREAT time, to say the least. :)

18. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I just got off the phone with BBG and ordered the Pope in the following configuration:

Mike Pope Flexcore - Core 2stk.2stk
    2-Pickup, 4-Knob*, 1-Switch

Pickup Blend control
    Mid toggle switch (Clint's suggestion)

Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I know that I can always drop a 3-band Bart or Demeter in there but I just had to see for myself what all the buzz was about. Hopefully it's worth the 30-50% cost increase (over the Demeter and Bart (respectively).

I'll record some raw sound clips of the bass with the Audere and post them along with some raw sound clips of the bass with the Pope (after it arrives and is installed).

19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    los angeles, CA
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    fwiw I *really* like the Pope preamp in the Foderas (which I assume is pretty close to the Flexcore). I'm running it with both EMG PJ and SD dual coils. You should also be able to switch frequencies with moving the jumpers on the board around. I've only got a single mid knob but do have a two position freq switch and those centers can be changed with jumpers on the board. Interested to hear how it works in the Roscoe.

20. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm looking forward to hearing how this one turns out. I suspect it will be a winner!

21. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I'm in! :hyper:

:D

God Bless, Ray