1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Wood -> Bass Orders #3

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Roscoe Top (XQM #1)

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Roscoe Top (XQM #2)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Roscoe Top & Back Set (Spalted Quilted Maple)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm down to Bubinga and various types of Maple (Quilted, Spalted, etc.) in my pile of reserved tops down in G'boro. I want to wittle this pile down a bit before I ask Gard to set aside any more wood, so here's another poll where you guys get to help pick the next top (and specs) that will become a Roscoe bass!

Here are the contenders this time around. The third choice is a matching top & back set, and I show the top first then the back.

#1: Roscoe Top (XQM #1)
    4959-RAW-TOP-3-26-12-xsqm-1-RM.

#2: Roscoe Top (XQM #2)

#3: Roscoe Top & Back Set (Spalted Quilted Maple)
    3078-RAW-TOP.
    3078-RAW-BACK.

2. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh - and some more thoughts from my end. #1 and #3 would be left natural in my world, and #2 could go either way (either natural or hit it with some color).

That's just my opinion, though. I'd love to hear if ya'll disagree!

3. OOO OOOO OOOOOO MISTA BUMP MISTA BUMP!!!

:hyper:

...can I play, huh, please, can I???

;)

(#1, Century 3005, Mahogany body, natural oil finish, JJ's, Wenge fingerboard)

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Veddy nice! Be sure to cast your vote in the poll if you want it to count!

5. How bout number one but with a twist..cocobolo or something similar fretboard to match the color variations.. Id say give the wenge a break..

6. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Good googly goo! I love the spalted set. I'd throw that on a Mahogany body with the J's (set in JB format) for a fretless or with a Wenge board and Standard pickup spacing for fretted.

My .05 Cents

:D

God Bless, Ray

7. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    What type of Roscoe would this be for?

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yes, this! Make it JB placement but keep it fretted, like Ray's ideas mashed together :D

Other fingerboards would play nicely too (say, pau ferro) but it's hard to go wrong with wenge :cool:

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That's to be determined. If you have some specs in mind, feel free to throw them out!

10. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    #3, Century Signature V, ash body, natural gloss, Bolivian rosewood, abalone inlay, black hardware, diamondwood nut, J pups JB, Bart pre.

Mark

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    #1 XQM top, Mahogany body, Pau ferro finger board, LG 3006 w/straight Roscoe Bart P/U's, Bart 3-band.

...and yes, I voted.:)

12. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    #2 w/ Black gold color under poly-oil finish, Century 3007, Swamp ash body, BEM fingerboard, black hardware. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

13. THIS! :hyper:

I LOVE the JB spots on everything we've done it on so far, just BALLS DELUXE!

:)

(...playing the Stormtrooper as I am typing this morning! :bassist: Damn this bass kills...)

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    #1. Century 3005 JM. Ash body, Pau Ferro fretboard. Wenge shim, wenge neck center.

You guys *really* need to hear how one of these things just kills in a live setting.........

15. Really can't argue with this either...and Greg DOES need to get one in stock, as no one has that option available right now....