Roscoe & Zon with Satin finish on the body.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    I guess a lot of people like the gloss, but I definitely prefer the satined body finish! However, I have never seen one Zon or Roscoe bass with it.
    I'd like to see some R. and/or Z. basses pics with satin finished on the body.
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Joe Zon is doing the satin finish more and more now. You should be able to find some pics of this new finish on the web. I've yet to see a newer Roscoe with a satin finish though, just the older ones.
  3. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I saw this the other day at planetbass

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    We do both oil finishes and satin urethane finishes, as an option on all orders. However, not many folks do order them that way...
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    My only complaint about the satin finishes is they tend to get "gloss" spots worn in before too long, then they look odd.
  6. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Is good to know the satin urethane finish is an available
    option with those excellent basses.
    Do you feel comfortable playing a bass with that sticky(2me) and shining finish on body and neck?

*I know, It's looks like a prejudged question. :cool:
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I went from a stain finished neck to a glossed one (my current thunderbass). i didnt like it at first, but after a while you forget about it. i dont remeber ever getting my thumb stuck because of the stickiness when i play.

btw i like the finish on the mtd's those are pretty cool, are the satin finishes on the roscoes and zons the same?
  8. I don't mind it on the body, and I think that it looks nice to have a nice gloss on the body. I really dislike the feel of it on the neck. Give me a nice oil and wax finish on the neck and I'm happy.
  9. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Zon offers a satin urethane finish as someone mentioned. It's basically the same as the necks of Sonus basses, only on the whole thing. It's a very nice finish. Much more elegant in my opinion. And it looks as good as an oil but is still protected like gloss. Here's mine:

10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    With Roscoes in particular, there isn't a sticky gloss finish on th back of the neck....just a high gloss on the body to bring out the beauty in the tops and body woods. As for playability, I've never had an issue with a gloss finish on the body. It's a gloss finish on the neck that is perticularly bothersome. Of course, very few high-end builders, if any that I can think of, use a gloss finish on the back of the neck. The standard these days is either an oil or satin finish.
  11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Eventhough I prefer the Roscoes, I love Zon basses too. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to decide between the Zon and Roscoe fretless when I was A1/B1/A2/B2/A3/B3/A2/B2/A3/B3/A1/B1ing all 5 or 6 of them.

It was a fun trying to choose though.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Imagine what I go through every day...

13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Not anymore. Now it's, "Should I get the Bart, Demeter or Aguilar preamp? Or can I have all three with a three- way switch? How about an Ash/Spanish Cedar/Ash sandwich body with a Figured Maple/Puke-a-burl Buckeye top. Yes! That's the sound I'm looking for. Can you do that?"
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

(Just don't tell Keith I said so! :spit: )